sudzs
Well-known member
- Joined
- Jun 25, 2009
- Messages
- 263
I had a filling done 20 months ago in an incisor. After that I kept going back to the dentist with symptoms of pain, slight numbness in lip, I was headachy, even triggered a few migraines when I am not a headache person at all and don't generally get migraines. But the dentist said it's all fine. So then the nerve died, I had root canal treatment done by the same dentist but following that all the symptoms were still there easing every so often but then returning fully again. So next a referral to an endodontist. He x-rayed the tooth and said "there's decay there under the filling, go back to your dentist and get them to put in a proper filling, that should sort out your symptoms"
So I did that and things improved for a while but then got bad again so back to the endo and he said the RCT "wasn't perfect" and I had a periapical granuloma so he re-did the root canal. Well following a massive inflammatory response the next day, it really was quite distressing, it settled down over the following months. Then the last 3 or 4 months everything was fine so I thought at last, the tooth is fixed. I hadn't been using my water flosser on it as it seemed to trigger flare ups before. Then 4 weeks ago I used it again and the pain all started up again, a few weeks of nigging and then building up to a really bad flare up for 1 day when I couldn't get enough ibuprofen into me. But then the following day it was a lot better and is just easing away again now slowly but surely.
I went to my new general dentist today just to see if there was anything to be seen on an x-ray. It all looked fine he said, gums. palate fine, granuloma looked healed.
I'm just so worn out from it all. Every dentist appointment is so stressful, I'm shaking in the waiting room, even the most recent one where I knew I wasn't even having anything done except an x-ray. I'm so nervous that I don't think I express myself properly so I feel I mustn't be giving them the right information. Or I sound like I'm talking rubbish or exaggerating my symptoms. I'm extra nervous with the endodontist as he is arrogant and doesn't listen to my concerns and dismisses me when I say it feels like an inflammatory problem. He insists it must be a nerve problem. I asked him if it was neurological would ibuprofen help it. He said no and I said well it does help, as does cold being applied to the palate so to me that says it's probably inflammatory. He didn't like that and insisted it was neurological pain or atypical facial pain and I should consider taking Amitriptyline.
I also have a small patch of psoriasis on my scalp which started some time after the initial filling. It gets worse when the tooth is worse and eases when the tooth is improving. Apparently this is so unusual that when I told the dentist today he looked at me as if I was nuts. But I've never has psoriasis before and this only cropped up after all the trouble with the tooth started. When the tooth eases off so does the psoriasis so to my mind they are surely linked in some way.
It's so frustrating and upsetting I am in tears now as nobody seems to know what it is and I'm going to be stuck with this awful dull pain and pressure in my palate coming and going all the time and no way to treat it. Well apart from "medication for atypical facial pain" which I'm not keen on. The symptoms come and go, they start with a niggle, get worse over days and weeks, peak and then improve quickly enough. Wouldn't that be atypical for atypical facial pain ???
My only hope is that it might just be a bit of residual inflammation and that it will resolve over time. But there's nothing on the x-ray.
I've told this tooth saga here before so apologies for repeating it all in a very long post. I'm really just wondering what could still be causing these symptoms. Is there any other way of finding out beyond x-rays and looking at the gum which all appeared fine today. Would an MRI be useful?? Is there another type of specialist I should be seeing? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Just to add and I would hope this isn't an issue but I live in a relatively small town and all the dentists would know each other. And the original dentist who left decay in the tooth would be a referring dentist to the endo and also my new dentist's practice.
Thanks for reading, i know it's a lot.
So I did that and things improved for a while but then got bad again so back to the endo and he said the RCT "wasn't perfect" and I had a periapical granuloma so he re-did the root canal. Well following a massive inflammatory response the next day, it really was quite distressing, it settled down over the following months. Then the last 3 or 4 months everything was fine so I thought at last, the tooth is fixed. I hadn't been using my water flosser on it as it seemed to trigger flare ups before. Then 4 weeks ago I used it again and the pain all started up again, a few weeks of nigging and then building up to a really bad flare up for 1 day when I couldn't get enough ibuprofen into me. But then the following day it was a lot better and is just easing away again now slowly but surely.
I went to my new general dentist today just to see if there was anything to be seen on an x-ray. It all looked fine he said, gums. palate fine, granuloma looked healed.
I'm just so worn out from it all. Every dentist appointment is so stressful, I'm shaking in the waiting room, even the most recent one where I knew I wasn't even having anything done except an x-ray. I'm so nervous that I don't think I express myself properly so I feel I mustn't be giving them the right information. Or I sound like I'm talking rubbish or exaggerating my symptoms. I'm extra nervous with the endodontist as he is arrogant and doesn't listen to my concerns and dismisses me when I say it feels like an inflammatory problem. He insists it must be a nerve problem. I asked him if it was neurological would ibuprofen help it. He said no and I said well it does help, as does cold being applied to the palate so to me that says it's probably inflammatory. He didn't like that and insisted it was neurological pain or atypical facial pain and I should consider taking Amitriptyline.
I also have a small patch of psoriasis on my scalp which started some time after the initial filling. It gets worse when the tooth is worse and eases when the tooth is improving. Apparently this is so unusual that when I told the dentist today he looked at me as if I was nuts. But I've never has psoriasis before and this only cropped up after all the trouble with the tooth started. When the tooth eases off so does the psoriasis so to my mind they are surely linked in some way.
It's so frustrating and upsetting I am in tears now as nobody seems to know what it is and I'm going to be stuck with this awful dull pain and pressure in my palate coming and going all the time and no way to treat it. Well apart from "medication for atypical facial pain" which I'm not keen on. The symptoms come and go, they start with a niggle, get worse over days and weeks, peak and then improve quickly enough. Wouldn't that be atypical for atypical facial pain ???
My only hope is that it might just be a bit of residual inflammation and that it will resolve over time. But there's nothing on the x-ray.
I've told this tooth saga here before so apologies for repeating it all in a very long post. I'm really just wondering what could still be causing these symptoms. Is there any other way of finding out beyond x-rays and looking at the gum which all appeared fine today. Would an MRI be useful?? Is there another type of specialist I should be seeing? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Just to add and I would hope this isn't an issue but I live in a relatively small town and all the dentists would know each other. And the original dentist who left decay in the tooth would be a referring dentist to the endo and also my new dentist's practice.
Thanks for reading, i know it's a lot.
Last edited:
