P
PinkRiceKrispies
Member
- Joined
- Jun 20, 2023
- Messages
- 20
- Location
- Ashford UK
I already have ulcerative colitis and rheumatoid arthritis and am on methotrexate for the RA.
Ever since I got diagnosed with chronic illness, I have suddenly developed a plaque issue that wasn't there before.
In 2021 it got awful because of lockdowns etc. I saw the hygienist at the dentist but found it painful and also quite traumatic. I told my dentist this and he agreed to do cleanings every 4 months but did make me cry when I left as I felt he was very harsh in his language 'very bad ' (describing the plaque) as well as 'Should have come in sooner.' I have been going back and forth and sometimes he will say there is an improvement but other times not. I dread the visits as I leave feeling ashamed.
This time he hasn't done the cleaning for 8 months as the other appointments were taken up doing a crown procedure (The difference in his attitude towards me was something else, I actually had a great experience). Because of that though I have noticed the plaque building up again on the left side on three particular teeth. I am really frustrated by this as thought I was doing a good job. They are also bleeding sometimes when I brush which I know is an awful sign. I was sure I was getting it all as well.
Feel like a failure and worried I'm going to start crying when I see him because I'm at the end of my rope with this now.
As a dentist would you just take me off your books and say there is nothing you can do for me ? To be fair it is centred on just the bottom lower half of my mouth on the left and not all over so it doesn't show that I'm just not bothering.
Ever since I got diagnosed with chronic illness, I have suddenly developed a plaque issue that wasn't there before.
In 2021 it got awful because of lockdowns etc. I saw the hygienist at the dentist but found it painful and also quite traumatic. I told my dentist this and he agreed to do cleanings every 4 months but did make me cry when I left as I felt he was very harsh in his language 'very bad ' (describing the plaque) as well as 'Should have come in sooner.' I have been going back and forth and sometimes he will say there is an improvement but other times not. I dread the visits as I leave feeling ashamed.
This time he hasn't done the cleaning for 8 months as the other appointments were taken up doing a crown procedure (The difference in his attitude towards me was something else, I actually had a great experience). Because of that though I have noticed the plaque building up again on the left side on three particular teeth. I am really frustrated by this as thought I was doing a good job. They are also bleeding sometimes when I brush which I know is an awful sign. I was sure I was getting it all as well.
Feel like a failure and worried I'm going to start crying when I see him because I'm at the end of my rope with this now.
Last edited:
)