• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal paranoia

  • Thread starter Thread starter jokermoreau
  • Start date Start date
J

jokermoreau

Junior member
Joined
Apr 26, 2016
Messages
7
Another post from good ol' me. :notsure:

So I have to get a root canal - which, wasn't a big deal to me initially because I've already had one (and a crown, too - back in 2014). It went off without a hitch... no pain before or after, no complications, and it was done by my dentist who I know and trust.

This time I will be referred to an endodontist because this is an infected (and painful) molar (#18), and he has performed two RCTs on my dentist so that kind of helped me feel a bit better. Anyway, I did the stupid thing and googled (again) what could happen during a RCT and found this thing called a sodium hypochlorite incident, where apparently the bleach used to irrigate the canals can leak through the tooth root and swell you up/kill your tissues, and that has terrified me! I have this super bad paranoia now that that will happen to me...

Another worry I have is for my last RCT, my dentist didn't use a dental dam. I believe my endodontist will, and I am allergic to latex and a mouth breather by nature. I worry that I can't breathe through my mouth with it and/or that there will be latex in the dam? The pictures do not look comfortable.. but I also don't like the idea of going without one now that I've read about the bleach incident and people swallowing it on accident and seriously getting screwed up....

I guess I just need some comfort and some reassurance here... I am still having to wait a week to get mine done, and I have spent the last week of antibiotics worrying enough as it is.. I even had a panic attack yesterday. I just wish this was over with and not something to work me up so bad. It doesn't help that all my roommates will be gone and out of town during the procedure, so I will be returning home alone (well, I have my cat).
 
I've had 4 RCTs all with dental dams and all without complications. I, like many others on here, find that they actually make me feel more comfortable because I'm not worried about swallowing something I shouldn't. You can breathe and swallow normally - you can even breathe through your mouth. I would be surprised if the endodontist uses dental dams made of latex as so many people have allergies to latex (including many healthcare workers from repeated exposure) and they are readily available in non-latex materials. Either way, be sure to let the dental team know you have a latex allergy and they will accommodate you.

When done someone properly trained (especially an endodontist) RCT complications are very rare. If it would put your mind at ease, you could ask the endodontist what his complication rate is and how that compares to others. The fact that this is the endo your dentist goes to for his own teeth, however, speaks volumes.

Best of luck to you!
 
Hi there,
I've had 5 root canals so far and I have one more on the way (when I can afford it lol)... so I'm kind of an expert.

It went off without a hitch... no pain before or after, no complications, and it was done by my dentist who I know and trust.

My first 3 were great - no issues. My last 2 have needed up to a week to calm down. It really just depends on how infected they are and where they are located. For me, the further back the teeth go, the more pain in the butt they have been. But I have no regrets of having them treated.

This time I will be referred to an endodontist because this is an infected (and painful) molar (#18), and he has performed two RCTs on my dentist so that kind of helped me feel a bit better.

I've had this tooth treated with a root canal. It was okay - took awhile to calm down on one corner. What I mean by that is that if I pressed on the corner with my finger, it shot a bit of a pain. No issues leaving it all alone or when eating.

Anyway, I did the stupid thing and googled (again) what could happen during a RCT and found this thing called a sodium hypochlorite incident, where apparently the bleach used to irrigate the canals can leak through the tooth root and swell you up/kill your tissues, and that has terrified me! I have this super bad paranoia now that that will happen to me...

Okay get ready for this - on #14 (I think) the dental dam was ripped - I couldn't see it, but when he put it on I could tell it ripped it. I'm not sure if the dentist could see the rip and I'm kind of the type to just shut up and listen to the dentist, so I didn't say anything.

Well I should have because the rip ended up allowing the sodium hypochlorite go right down my throat instead of the suction tool. I can tell you without a doubt that it tastes (and burns) JUST LIKE BLEACH. Not sure how much went down, but I gestured for them to stop and they put some water down my throat. They asked me if it was burning and I nodded yes, so they gave me a few minutes to rest and I had a few little coughs and then no big deal after a few minutes.

I have had ZERO health issues from that incident. I've read that some people actually ingest bleach for health reasons, so it can't be all that bad to have it done once. I did mention it to my regular dentist (both work in the same building) and was all huffy and puffy about it, but I've already had the same dentist do another root canal (actually on the neighboring tooth) and no issues. Like I said, I don't know if the dentist could tell the dental dam ripped, but I could and I should have opened my mouth about it (haha since my mouth was WIDE open when it happened). Really, nothing to worry about - if you do have any "leaking" it is such a tiny itty bitty amount that it won't do anything to you.

Another worry I have is for my last RCT, my dentist didn't use a dental dam. I believe my endodontist will, and I am allergic to latex and a mouth breather by nature.

Some use it and some don't. My first one did not have any dental dam used and I had no issues. It really depends on how well the dentist keeps the tooth clean and dry as they are working, so it's fine if they don't use one.

Let them know about this allergy ahead of time, like as you are sitting down in the chair. Latex allergies are becoming more common, so most places are just getting rid of latex products and switching over. They will also probably make you fill out some paper work before you go in, so you will definitely have to write down any materials or meds you're allergic too on that form which the dentist will read before he starts.

I worry that I can't breathe through my mouth with it and/or that there will be latex in the dam? The pictures do not look comfortable.. but I also don't like the idea of going without one now that I've read about the bleach incident and people swallowing it on accident and seriously getting screwed up....

You can 100% breath very easily with a dental dam on and if anything is uncomfortable just point to the spot and shake your head if you can't talk. The dental dam stretches, so the dentist will position it to block out the tooth from any liquids that shouldn't come in contact with it and provide you with plenty of space to breath. I've had a dental dam on 3 teeth and they are totally comfortable. Honestly, I love them so much, I wish the dentist always put them on - I can't stand the idea of a dentist looking down my throat and having to watch my tongue move about.

By now, unless there's some kind of unexpected incident like the stuff down my throat, I'm honestly falling asleep in the chair while my dentist does a root canal. Which is really bad, I've found myself curling up towards my dentist before lol I think the biggest part of feeling so comfortable is having a dentist you trust and who knows what he's doing, so it is great that you're going to a specialist!
 
Thanks guys - your posts have helped a lot. I've been trying to focus on my job, my writing, and various other things rather than just thinking about my tooth and worrying about this procedure. It's easier said than done, but I'm really trying - and rationally hearing things from people like you guys helps more than you know. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time to post here.

I plan to tell my endodontist (when I meet him next week for the procedure) about my anxieties, my latex allergy (it's on the paper but i also plan to verbally express it), and my mouth breathing habits so that he is aware. My mother is coming down for 2 nights to help console me and be there to take care of me during the procedure which helps a lot - I'm a 23 year old but I still am a momma's girl!

I will be sure to post my inevitable success story afterwards to hopefully calm others' woes. I know it'll likely go fine and I'll be berating myself for worrying so hard and letting it genuinely affect my quality of life.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time out of your day.:love:
 
Back
Top