• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 Days to go till having tooth out and im Terrified.

M

macc2012

Well on Friday i am having a tooth out under IV Sedation and im Terrified with just 2 days to go.

but part of me is think i cant wait to have this tooth out as its been causing me problems for months now but the other part is saying i dont want to do it.

i have going to the dentist and it does not help that all ive seen about the dentist im going to see is bad reviews as my dentist does not do sedation.

i have needles in the mouth and i have fits as well do that does not help.

im getting all stressed out.

you will be ok :) think of all of us here on the forum holding your hand when you are at the dentist, supporting you and cheering you on.

i recently had three teeth extracted with the iv sedation. you'll do great with it!

try not to stress, it is the whole time of leading up to the appointment itself that makes us phobics get so stressed out, and when it is done and over with, we wonder sometimes why we got so frazzled, lol. you'll be fine :)

if this dentist has bad reviews, i personally would look for a different dentist. i know not all offer the iv sedation, but there are times when a good dentist can talk you through everything instead of you needing to be sedated. i know i can handle future dental work without the iv, i just knew i needed it to give me that psychological 'kick in the butt' to get back in the dentist chair after a few years.

What does it feel like when someone is sedated?

i have never had this so is a 1st time for me.

you just feel really calm, and don't really care what is going on, but you are conscious and able to respond to the dentist. you may have amnesia and not even remember the whole thing. i didn't have amnesia but the experience wasn't frightening, so it didn't fuel my fears at all. quite the opposite.

i found it helpful to research a whole bunch and find out everything i could, but that's just me. i like to understand everything before it happens, but i didn't want to be too aware when it was happening. that being said, i think i can handle things like fillings without sedation now. maybe i'll take a sedative pill or two next time if i have to have anything done more than that.

relax, you'll be fine :)

Last year I did IV sedation for my wisdom teeth... i was a NERVOUS wreck and when i got there I almost didnt go through with it!! Let me tell you.. it was a piece of cake.. the Iv sedation was the BEST thing ...so simple.. it felt like it was a few mins long when really it was about 45 mins/an hour.
I have such bad anxiety and i hate "losing control"...however i felt nothing and it was amazing...
No one could possibly be more of a nervous nelly when it comes to dental anything...and i did it, it was nothing :)
I promise you, you WILL be fine, i garentee!!
Your prolly reading this not fully believing that youll be okay.... (as i did when i got my teeth out)....then youll post after how simple it was and remembet this lol :)

Good luck, you dont even need it though, youll be great!!

make sure you post how simple it was :)

Hi macc2012

Bless you, getting yourself all in a pickle, but I totally get where you are coming from. I had eleven teeth extracted in May using IV sedation, and I like you was truly, truly worried. However, I lived to tell the tale, and absolutely :love: with it.

I did see a previous dentist who also did IV sedation, but things just weren't sitting right with him. However, when I went to Beehive surgery and met with Dr Hirst (who also posts on here), I wouldn't have gone to anyone else. I had more or less no recollection of the extractions, and before I knew it, I was back out and it was all over and done with.

Although this appointment is booked for Friday, if you don't feel happy with the dentist, then I certainly and personally would not let him do the work. They may be extremely proficient in how they carry out their treatment, but they would need to have a lot of empathy in dealing with nervous patients, and to help put you at ease as much as possible during what for you is a massively stressful journey.

Take care.

Kim

I am so glad that you are all posting on this thread. I have a tooth that cannot be saved, and so my dentist plans to extract it soon. It previously had been RCT'd and crowned- now the actual tooth is broken at the gumline.

I am a nervous wreck about it, but I wish you the best of luck Macc, and hopefully you'll be back here posting how easy it was after its all done.:)

Many thanks for all your messages.

i will indeed post when i get back home tomorrow(Friday) after having it done.

I am having it out at midday and cant eat or drink from 8am but can i still drink?

also is it the case that i will go into the dentist take a seat then needle into hand,tooth out then walk out?

does it work like that?

Many thanks for all your messages.

i will indeed post when i get back home tomorrow(Friday) after having it done.

I am having it out at midday and cant eat or drink from 8am but can i still drink?

also is it the case that i will go into the dentist take a seat then needle into hand,tooth out then walk out?

does it work like that?

i was not allowed to eat or drink ANYTHING from midnight onwards the night before. my appointment was at 8 am. there is a different mindset depending on where you are on this planet, and what the dentist does or doesn't want you to do before conscious sedation. double check with your dentist on that.

as for the 'needle into hand, tooth out, then walk out'. yeah, it was like that almost exactly for me. lol. i was in the chair for about an hour, maybe a tad more. what effects i was feeling from the sedation wore off the moment i was done having my 3 teeth extracted, and my stitches put in. the nurse asked me to stand up and was asking me to touch my nose, count to 10, etc to ensure i was back to normal and none of it phased me in the slightest. i walked out with no recovery time needed and felt right as rain (minus a wad of gauze tucked in my mouth and half my mouth still numb) right away. everyone's experience with iv is different though, so you may not snap out of it as quick as i did.

Things do seem to vary and my experiences were several years ago, so guidelines might have changed. I wasn't told not to eat or drink, but given that I was so scared I couldn't have done either of them anyway, I guess that was immaterial. I was told to have a responsible adult pick me up afterwards (but my husband had to do!) and not to do anything like cooking that evening (my cooking is potentially dangerous even when I'm not woozy but we will say no more about that.) I lay down in the surgery chair and the dentist injected into the vein in the crook of my elbow...he was very skilled and I barely felt it...then nothing seemed to happen! I lay there and thought, well, I don't think much of this stuff, then the dentist walked in front of me and I thought, ooh, he's gone all blurry, that's really funny. I remember him rolling my sleeve down and putting my arm in a comfier position, then he asked me to open my mouth wide, then zzzzzzzzzzzz nowt until I "came round". I remember I went to pay, dropped a £5 note on the floor and hadn't got the co-ordination to pick it up, which for some reason I found very amusing. My husband had to pick it up. I walked home OK and dozed on and off all evening. The second time I had it, I wasn't so dopey afterwards; in fact I was up at the pub celebrating by 7pm. (with a non-alcoholic wine, I should add.) Still can't remember a thing about the actual treatments. I wish you good luck for tomorrow, but honestly you won't need it!:XXLhug:

Not happy at all as today i got a call from the dentist saying they have to changed my app from tomorrow to Nov 2nd as the dentist is ill.:mad:

so now got even longer to wait now.

over a month later to have your appointment because the dentist is sick? that sounds highly irresponsible to me. what about his patients that are unable to wait, or those that don't have the opportunity to change their schedules?

time to find a different dentist!

NOVEMBER?! No wonder they get bad reviews. Time to go hunting for somewhere better.

Hi macc2012,

I agree with Aldridge, perhaps you shoud look for another dentist...Waiting till November, that's really weird :hmm:

Best wishes,

victorine

Back