• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abcess under bridge what are my options?

M

mjc

I recently had a new bridge put in which consists of the six teeth across the upper front of my mouth. A couple of months afterwards, I started having tingling in the root area of one of the "anchor" teeth. My dentist said it is likely just tender and adjusted my bite but said if it is an abcess, son't worry, we can do a root canal over top of the bridge. How is this done and is it really my only option?

Hi MJC,

Unfortunately one of the risks of bridgework is that one or more of the anchor teeth may end up needing a root canal treatment. I believe the incidence is between 11 and 16% depending on which study you look at.
You can find plenty of information on the nature of root canal treatment here:

It is your only option if you want to hang on to the bridge. The good news is this treatment is much easier to do on front teeth so should be no problem if you have to have it done.
Hope it all works out

Lincoln

Back