• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advice on changing dentist

Mckenziesavey

Mckenziesavey

Hello ,
Anyone got advice or anything I should look at before setting an appointment up . I dislike the one I'm currently going to and decided that it not worth the time or money to be a waste .
Appreciate it all, have a good day

@Mckenziesavey My advice is to ask them straight up about anything you want in particular for your dentist to do. If you want certain procedures, or things to be done in a certain way, or anything in particular, be sure you ask the office about it right away. I wasted years going to dentists who wouldn't do what I wanted, I wanted someone who would do extractions and oral surgery themself, without referring it out, and without requiring sedation, so I just didn't get work done, until I finally had the bright idea of asking a dentist straight up if they would do what I wanted when I first talked to them, and telling them straight up that I was unwilling to be sedated or referred to an oral surgeon. The other piece of advice that I can give is it may not be best to go on superficial things that make you feel more comfortable but don't matter as much. I feel less stressed and intimidated by dentists of a certain sex, and with smaller, older, more modest offices. However, when I only chose dentists that were my preferred sex, with my preferred type of office, they often weren't as good, and none could do the procedures I wanted. I ended up doing better with a dentist with a big fanct office that I didn't like, and of the sex that I don't prefer, because they were able to do the work I wanted in the way I wanted, which was more important in the end. Some really good general advice on picking a dentist is on the website here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/find-a-dentist/

Back