J
Jan
Junior member
- Joined
- Oct 22, 2022
- Messages
- 3
- Location
- UK
Hello,
I'm reaching out because I'm very worried about my dental situation and could really use some advice.
A bottom central incisor has suddenly become painful and sensitive. I initially thought the discolouration at the top of my lower front teeth was just staining from coffee, but now that one is hurting, I've taken a closer look and realise there are grooves in the top of these teeth and that one of them looks as though it has lost some of its structure. I attach some photographs. Even if I drink water at room temperature, I experience immediate painful sensitivity.
I do clean my teeth regularly, but I have Sjögren's syndrome and a very dry mouth. I also switched away from fluoride toothpaste for holistic reasons, a combination that I now realise may have left my teeth particularly vulnerable to decay.
My biggest worry right now is that I will need to have my front teeth extracted.
I have dental anxiety following a bad experience with a dentist who didn't seem to be concentrating at all, and kept leaving the room during treatment. She accidentally dropped a UV lamp on my face and filed down a minor chip to one of my upper front teeth to the point where I winced — it had been painless before. Unfortunately, the bonding she attached to it fell off after just a couple of weeks, leaving an even bigger chip. I have never gone back to have that upper tooth repaired because of what happened. While the chipped tooth looks a little unsightly, it is frankly the least of my worries right now.
My immediate concern is the sensitive lower front tooth. I am also concerned about the condition of the upper front tooth next to the chipped one.
Because of the above experience, I am particularly anxious about further drilling, filing or removal of healthy tooth structure, and would very much like to understand what conservative options may be available to me.
1. The painful lower central incisor and adjacent tooth
Can the lower front teeth be saved? What conservative options might be available? Does the tooth next to it look like it needs work as well?
2. The previously damaged upper incisor
Is it possible to repair the chipped upper tooth without filing it down any further? (When I had it repaired prior to the incident above, that bonding came off almost immediately too).
3. The adjacent upper incisor
There is a darkened rough area at the bottom of this tooth which I am concerned is decay. I'm thinking it probably needs a filling, although I was hoping the tooth might regenerate with appropriate dental care.
I would also like to know, if possible, why the lower incisor has lost some of its volume, as I’m finding it difficult to understand what has happened to it. I have circled the relevant bit.
Thank you
I'm reaching out because I'm very worried about my dental situation and could really use some advice.
A bottom central incisor has suddenly become painful and sensitive. I initially thought the discolouration at the top of my lower front teeth was just staining from coffee, but now that one is hurting, I've taken a closer look and realise there are grooves in the top of these teeth and that one of them looks as though it has lost some of its structure. I attach some photographs. Even if I drink water at room temperature, I experience immediate painful sensitivity.
I do clean my teeth regularly, but I have Sjögren's syndrome and a very dry mouth. I also switched away from fluoride toothpaste for holistic reasons, a combination that I now realise may have left my teeth particularly vulnerable to decay.
My biggest worry right now is that I will need to have my front teeth extracted.
I have dental anxiety following a bad experience with a dentist who didn't seem to be concentrating at all, and kept leaving the room during treatment. She accidentally dropped a UV lamp on my face and filed down a minor chip to one of my upper front teeth to the point where I winced — it had been painless before. Unfortunately, the bonding she attached to it fell off after just a couple of weeks, leaving an even bigger chip. I have never gone back to have that upper tooth repaired because of what happened. While the chipped tooth looks a little unsightly, it is frankly the least of my worries right now.
My immediate concern is the sensitive lower front tooth. I am also concerned about the condition of the upper front tooth next to the chipped one.
Because of the above experience, I am particularly anxious about further drilling, filing or removal of healthy tooth structure, and would very much like to understand what conservative options may be available to me.
1. The painful lower central incisor and adjacent tooth
Can the lower front teeth be saved? What conservative options might be available? Does the tooth next to it look like it needs work as well?
2. The previously damaged upper incisor
Is it possible to repair the chipped upper tooth without filing it down any further? (When I had it repaired prior to the incident above, that bonding came off almost immediately too).
3. The adjacent upper incisor
There is a darkened rough area at the bottom of this tooth which I am concerned is decay. I'm thinking it probably needs a filling, although I was hoping the tooth might regenerate with appropriate dental care.
I would also like to know, if possible, why the lower incisor has lost some of its volume, as I’m finding it difficult to understand what has happened to it. I have circled the relevant bit.
Thank you
Attachments
Last edited: