• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Affordable Dentures...Immediates....HELP!

SkeeertStiff

SkeeertStiff

New here, and like my handle says, I'm SkeeeertStiff! But I am also so sick and tired of dental pain.
My teeth have never been good, I've already got about 5 crowns and 2 root canals. And according to my dentist, I now need 5 more crowns, and 2 more root canals....and something elsefor all my front lowers, as the enamel is just flaking off...

I have pain 24/7, pain that keeps me up at night, and now he's talking 5-8 grand!

I still have 28 teeth, but this kinda repetitive pain and expenditure is really getting old. I've been trying to research "Affordable Dentures", and the premium package of immediate dentures.

I know it's gonna hurt, but it can't last forever...can it? I have not had a pain free day in over 2 years. From dull toothache, to the "ice water in a cavity" level....NO let up.

Help me, advise me.... are the Immediates with someone like Affordable dentures the way to go, or not. I gotta have some releif... and I ain't got the cash my dentist wants, but I can do about 3K or so for dentures...

I don't know if "cheap" and "dentures" are words I'd want to put in the same sentence.... :(

If you do decide dentures are the way to go, try to find the best quality and the best dentist you can, and do what you gotta do to pay for them - Care Credit, loan, whatever. This isn't something I'd want to skimp on personally.

Hi and a big welcome to this site. I can only imagine how you are feeling, but as your dentist has recommended fillings etc and has not mentioned that you need to have teeth extracted, please, please, please, put any thoughts of dentures out of your mind. There's nothing wrong with having them if you need them, but unless your teeth are completely unsaveable, as they would appear not to be, there is nothing like keeping your own natural teeth. However, you are not specific in what the dentist is recommending in 'something else' for your lowers. Has he in fact said the word denture?
Let's say that you do in fact have to go the denture route. Yes of course, price is a very big factor, and I have read quite a lot about these 'affordable dentures'. Bear in mind though, if you have dentures, they are to replace your natural teeth and as such you want them looking, feeling and behaving just like natural teeth. You get what you pay for and if you get something inexpensive, it could well be false economy. They may fit perfectly, they may do the job, but how will they look? Remember your mouth is important, as as you know through having had pain for so long, it really does affect you. If you had dentures which you didn't feel were you, you may not have pain, but you would still not be feeling as comfortable in your mind as you should.

We all worry about the cost, I know when I had the report in writing of what I was going to go through, i.e. dentures, and the cost I thought, no way could I afford them, that I would just have to go through the rest of my life letting my own teeth slowly, or not so slowly rot and fall out. But, there is always a way. Do some more research about dentures - if in fact you really have to have them. They've got to last a long time, they've got to become part of you, your mouth is very important, people judge by first impressions, and your smile is a great part of that first impression.

So, not wanting to go on for ages and ages, if indeed there is no other course of action than to have dentures, ask your dentist (or another one if you are not happy with your current one) all the different options for having dentures, different payment plans etc. There is always a way to do the best for yourself and we all deserve the best.

I agree with scaredstiff; she is so right about saving any natural teeth that you can.
I have a full upper denture and a partial lower, just 3 teeth remaining and 2 implants to help secure it.
I would rather have kept my teeth but it was impossible for me. The expense of restoring natural teeth is worth it; many dentists have credit plans and will work with you on a payment schedule.
Dentures are fine but natural teeth are better!

I dunno..... I'm on a fixed income, trying to partially care for my Dad, now my wife is undergoing chemo, etc for bone cancer... I really don't trust dentists.... I guess I'll just tuff it out till they fall out, or I work up the courage to pull them myself.
I don't interact well with others anyway, and I try to keep only to family...so it won't much matter., Thanks just the same.

Honestly, Skeertstiff,

You've got a lot on your plate right now and I know I'm NOT qualified to bring you around the bases of disability/assistance programs that may be available for a proud man doing the best for his family members who are in SO many ways in more difficulty than you are... but I feel your pain.

Do you have access to some social service/family counseling resources via your Dad's care and your Wife's treatment providers? Open up your search and ask for your own sake and needs. If you are the only provider for both dad and wife, YOU need some support.

Don't give up.

Sue

Hi skeert,
If I were you I'd call the Dentist and ask them if there are any less expensive options if that is really what you want to do.

The previous Dentist I went to examined me, took xrays and gave me a big fat 10 grand estimate and told me to apply for care credit.

Yeah well I don't have the income or the credit to get a loan or pay cash.

So I am going to a different Dentist. we did the exam and x rays and I asked him to give me an estimate with restorations and an estimate with extractions and a partial.

I can better afford the partial than I can a bunch of root canals and crowns and a bridge. Sure I'd love to have kept all my teeth but in my case it wasn't the option. It was go the less expensive route or get nothing done.

I've got pain too and have had it for a long time. As soon as I get one thing taken care of, another goes bad and it starts all over again. I had all the would have been root canals but one pulled or will be pulled and am having the fillings filled and then will have a partial. It's the best I can do and still maintain as much as I can.

As far as dentures. My hubby has them. he got immediates and absolutely hates them. They make his bottom lip stick out like he is chewing and the tops look like he's got mouthful of teeth. They are not right for him. He kept going to the Dentist trying to get them relined and once ground down so they wouldn't stick out so far which at 100 bucks now a pop isn't cheap either for Dentures he hates. Oh and these aren't cheapie Dentures either let me assure you.

If you are not going to be able to do restorations because of finances can you at least keep what you can? From what I hear it is far better to keep the ones you can, even a few and still even get the denture or partial.

I'd talk it over with your Dentist one more time and see what he or she has to say are options.

They may fit perfectly, they may do the job, but how will they look? Remember your mouth is important, as as you know through having had pain for so long, it really does affect you. If you had dentures which you didn't feel were you, you may not have pain, but you would still not be feeling as comfortable in your mind as you should.

This is a very big MAY.....they may fit perfectly .....equally they may not....the cheaper they are, the more likely you are to have problems with them..(sore spots, gum shrinkage so they fall out etc ) just read some recent posts on here from denture wearers. (I don't have dentures though so can't speak from personal experience).

Appearance may be irrelevant to you but well-fitting functional dentures are necessary so you can eat food and enjoy your life, so I would say do whatever you realistically can to save your natural teeth.....maybe get a couple of opinions though....you can treat your teeth so they are 'healthy' but they do not have to be cosmetically perfect (this option would always be more expensive)...are all the crowns necessary or is there a purely cosmetic component here?
You could have a lot of your treatment done in one long session under i/v sedation if you don't see yourself turning up for regular appointments.

Getting your teeth extracted and dentures fitted is probably far more traumatic than restoring your teeth though...physically and psychologically. You can't put them back afterwards either if you change your mind...so no dentures are not the answer unless the teeth are unsavable.

I dunno..... I'm on a fixed income, trying to partially care for my Dad, now my wife is undergoing chemo, etc for bone cancer... I really don't trust dentists.... I guess I'll just tuff it out till they fall out, or I work up the courage to pull them myself.
I don't interact well with others anyway, and I try to keep only to family...so it won't much matter., Thanks just the same.

Right my man, I think we've got to get to work on you in the confidence building department. So you think you don't interact well with others - I am betting once you can get your teeth sorted out, and somehow we'll get you there, you will be oozing with confidence and your life will really be changed for ever. It's amazing just how much our life revolves round our teeth and we don't often realise that until we get our teeth back to a healthy state. As for saying it wont matter much - wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!!! You must think more of yourself, you deserve better than that and as for toughing it out until they fall out - no, no, no, no. You are at the stage where something can be done I am sure and your whole life can be turned around.

As for the trust in dentists, you need to find a caring, empathetic dentist with whom you can build up a feeling of trust. There are so many good dentists out there, have a look at our dentist finder section, hopefully there will be a recommendation or one in your area. I think if you can get to the stage of actually seeing a dentist you will feel so much better. That first appointment you need not have anything done, probably the dentist won't want to do anything, but it is just a get together and meet session, you talking about your fears, worries, concerns, previous experiences and the dentist really getting to know you and therefore how best to treat you. By letting him just examine your teeth, perhaps take x-rays then at least he/she will be able to tell you what needs to be doing and give you a treatment plan if there is any extensive work to be done. So what I am trying to say is, instead of sitting at home worrying about what you think has to be done, at least try to get to a dentist who can tell you what in reality does have to be done and I am sure at that stage, apart from initial nerves at getting into the dentist, you will feel a sense of relief at having gone, and hopefully being told that not half as much needs to be done as you are imagining. Once you get to that stage, then things will fall into place I am sure. But please, most important of all, don't think you are not worth it. Everyone has a duty to themselves to look after their health and honestly, teeth do play a very big part in your overall health, and you have a family and you have to be there, in top form for them!!!

I can not agree more with what the others have said...save the teeth if you can. Talk to the dentist, explain your financial situation. Perhaps for now they could just work on the things that need immediate fixing.

There are several misconceptions about dentures. You think that once you have them, your dental costs are over. Well they are not. Dentures last for 5-10 years typically, then you will need to have new ones made. Getting the right fit, can take alot of time. I speak from experience, believe me. I had an accident and needed all of the top teeth out and a full upper denture made. This was after years of avoiding the dentist and praying something drastic would happen to get me there....careful what you wish for. It took a several weeks and many appointments to get the fit right. After trying for three years to save the bottom teeth I had left, I finally decided it was time to move into a lower full denture (after many discussions with the dentist). Adjusting to the lower denture, makes the upper denture seem like a cake walk:( I am sorry to go off on a rant, but many people think that dentures are an easy and cheap way out....believe me, they a neither. Save the teeth you have for as long as you can. It is well worth the effort.;)

PS Do not pull your own teeth. It may seem easy but you may end up doing more harm than good

Ok first let me say...Don't pull your own teeth.If you have evr seen the movie "Cast-Away"there is a good example of how hard and dangerouse it is.

Second of all do what you can to save your natural teeth.
About 2 months ago I had all my upper teeth extracted and yes it is nice not having the tooth aches but I really wish I had my real teeth.
I stayed away from the dentist so long that I wasen't given a choice to restore the teeth...I walked in to 2 different dentists and they both said"I'm sorry but you need dentures on the top"I was bummed.

@ months later I am still batteling trying to get them to fit.(I get a new one on monday)
All I am saying is that it isen't as easy as it sounds...so do try and keep the teeth you have.When theres a will theres a way....try and find a way.

Last edited:
Back