• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

An ENTIRE Stitch just fell out!

Y

YellowBellow

Former Member
I recently had all 4 of my Wisdom teeth removed and im now on day 3 of recovery and a stitch came out, it was painless and there wasn't any blood but it kinda scared me, On top of that i have a tail hanging from another incision! What am i doing wrong???? I've been salt water rinsing, and taking my meds but im super freaked out.

How long were you told the stitches would last? If it was 1 week, no need to freak out. Some stitches do fall a bit early. If you need more reassurance, you could call the office and ask their advice.

On my aftercare pamphlet for extractions and oral surgery, it says that stitched may start coming out between day 3 to 5, amd not to worry unless there was a lot of bleeding.

I have only once had stitches after an extraction - it took two dentists an hour to get the tooth out and I was bleeding heavily - and think they are not routinely done in the U.K. I had 14 out for orthodontic reasons as a child (10 baby, and four adult pre-molars) and two years ago had a wisdom tooth and lower molar removed within a few months of each other. They all healed just fine without stitches, and I am sure yours will too, but if you are concerned give your dentist a call.

Back