• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety and paranoia

  • Thread starter Thread starter safetyjellybean2
  • Start date Start date
S

safetyjellybean2

Junior member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
2
Hey! So it has been 16 years since going to the dentist 2weeks ago (Nov 15) I ended up having to go in what I didn't know was I had build up in the back of my teeth which when I went to floss I dislodged some which scared me that I broke my tooth so after getting in the dentist was amazing and the hygienist was amazing they allowed me to decided to either dislodge more at home or let them clean it up and so I tried letting them do it no numbing nothing so she spent about half hour scaling cleaned it up
So now 2.5 weeks later now my mouth and teeth feel really weird they are sensitive and throb every so often but I find myself really paranoid that my teeth are loose that they are gonna fall out and I find myself always touching my teeth to make sure they aren't loose and dragging my tounge across the back of the teeth that were scaled
So I am looking for advice am I rubbing my tounge on my teeth cuz they are clean
And for the funny feeling on my teeth that is little pressure that paranoid feeling I'm having that they are going to be loose and fall put is it because they were cleaned and scraped and its been so long so is everything still healing
Last but not least if there was anything wrong after the hygienist removed the build up would she of said something to me.
Thanks any help or advice would be great especially if I can start calming down)
 
So that build up harbours all sorts of bacteria and can cause your gums some inflammation. After a long time that inflammation can progress to gum disease, though unless your dentist diagnosed it, don't worry about that part now. The thing is though, now that the build-up is gone, your gums are probably healing up and recovering, so it might feel strange for a while. And because the build-up was covering the base of your teeth, especially under the gum line, and that's suddenly exposed, things will feel a little sensitive for a while.

As for worrying your teeth are loose, this is actually a common worry people have after their first proper clean in a while! Your mouth is sensitive, your tongue especially. Tongues can feel teeny tiny cavities, and to your tongue they feel like gaping holes. So now that your teeth probably have a little more space around them, that feels much bigger than it is to your tongue! And because it's your mouth, you're super aware of it, and you focus in on it and it starts to mess with your mind, for real.

So, all in all, very normal sensations to feel, and a fairly common worry too. But it will be fine.

I'm sorry I didn't get to your post sooner, and good on you for going to the dentist and managing to get through the appointment! You can maybe look into ways to keep the build-up away at home. Flossing can help, plus little brushes for between your teeth, or an at home irrigator like the Waterpik. :)
 
Thank you that makes me feel better its Dec an annoying fear to have that something is wrong or could go wrong if I'm not cautious but hearing what you said I guess it does make alot of sense
Today(dec 4) isn't to bad I have only checked my teeth 3 times and brushed once this morni g prob brush after lunch now and I think I've caught my tounge 4 times
Just got to work on not putting my upper front teeth on my bottom front teeth together and just take a deep breath the sensitivity isn't tooo bad today I did notice last night I have one from tooth some of the lower tooth showing but its not nothing me and not letting it bug me cuz its only one tooth
I go back Jan for a full exam so at least having this input will get me thru till than
Thank you again
 
Hi there! I’m having a deep clean done next week after never having been to a dentist since I was a small child. How are you getting on now?

I also have a large amount of build up behind my bottom front teeth and feel like I’m going to think they’re loose - what you said really hut home to me! How did you find the actual cleaning?
 
Hello
I started using a waterpik at home and really changed my dental hygiene and since then my mouth has felt really strange too! That strange it makes me mega anxious!!
It's like I'm super aware of every sensation in my mouth that I normally wouldn't feel!! Just wondering how long till this sensation lasts?
 
Back
Top