• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious About Wisdom Tooth Removal - What is Oral Sedation Like?

B

brittanymaria423

Hello,

I had a consultation with a dental surgeon today about my wisdom tooth. He has recommended the removal of my lower right tooth as it is growing on an angle, although it has completely broken through the skin and is not impacted.

The dentist would do oral sedation with triazolam which he said would make me feel very sleepy and relaxed, so I would not really be too aware of what is going on and would not care about any noises or pressure in my mouth. He would also obviously numb the area, so I wouldn't feel any pain.

My main worries and anxieties that I have are about the sedative. I never use medications and am very scared of the effects of them and whether or not it will be enough for my anxiety and whether or not I will truly be "out of it" to the point where I don't care what is going on in my mouth and am completely relaxed.

I am curious about what others' experiences have been like with oral sedation for a wisdom tooth removal... Were you unaware of what was happening? Did you feel anything? Was it traumatizing?

Also, how long should I expect the healing time to be for one tooth removal and how long did it take before you were able to eat solid foods again?

I am scared to make the appointment to get it removed even though I know I have to eventually.

Thanks so much.

I also have dental fear, to the point of rescheduling appointments to avoid going, lol. I never had oral sedation (pills) , but I did recently have IV sedation for a tooth extraction , and I can tell you with IV sedation , its nothing short of awesome !! I remember sitting in the chair , IV being hooked up to back of hand (not painful, like someone smacked a rubber band on your hand for a split second), asking me to count back from 10 and then the dental assistant waking me up . It was all over , its really that good, it felt like I was in there for 5 minutes , but 30 minutes have passed. Don't feel anything !! Try to go the IV sedation route if its offered. I did also hear great things regarding oral sedation , but elected IV, and will for all future work !! Good luck, you will be fine !!!! :)

I also have dental fear, to the point of rescheduling appointments to avoid going, lol. I never had oral sedation (pills) , but I did recently have IV sedation for a tooth extraction , and I can tell you with IV sedation , its nothing short of awesome !! I remember sitting in the chair , IV being hooked up to back of hand (not painful, like someone smacked a rubber band on your hand for a split second), asking me to count back from 10 and then the dental assistant waking me up . It was all over , its really that good, it felt like I was in there for 5 minutes , but 30 minutes have passed. Don't feel anything !! Try to go the IV sedation route if its offered. I did also hear great things regarding oral sedation , but elected IV, and will for all future work !! Good luck, you will be fine !!!! :)

Thanks for the info! My dentist only offers oral sedation and I would have to go to an oral surgeon and pay much much more for IV, which I am not willing to do. I really hope the oral sedation is enough though! What was your healing time like? How long did it take before you could eat normally again?

Hi brittanymaria,

I had all of my wisdom teeth out in one session and without any sedation, so I cannot tell you much about the medication, but can tell you something about the healing time:
The procedure was in the morning, I cooled my face a lot and slept during the day and I was able to eat solid food very carefully on the same evening (went to get some pizza with my friends on the same day actually). I couldn't open my mouth too much for the first few days but after a week I was completely fine.

So this was my experience with all 4 wisdom teeth out. Since you need just one out, I am sure it will be a quick and easy procedure and you won't have much difficulties afterwards.

All the best and keep us posted:)

Back