• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any support, information and encouragement needed..

M

mag777

I am new to this site- I am a 47 y/o female -I have various medical issues, primarily I have had juvenile onset (type 1) Diabetes since I was 15 y.o- I am a smoker. I was told 2 years ago at dental visit I had 90% bone loss and would lose all my teeth- in the past 2 yrs I did not have any insurance so did not go back. I recently got approved for social security disability so Medicaid has helped with this issue. Here is my current situation;OKAY I WENT TO DDS YESTERDAY AND HAD 10 TEETH EXTRACTED----HURT LIKE HELL, I DO NOT DO PAIN WELL I CRIED THROUGH THE WHOLE ORDEAL EVEN AFTER HIM GIVING ME 2 EXTRA INJECTIONS FOR NUMBING!! SO I AM A SMOKER- MY TEETH WERE EXTRACTED EXACTLY 24 HOURS AGO-SOME PAIN BUT NOT UNBEARABLE I DESPERATELY WANT A CIGARETTE-- HOW CAN I GET THROUGH THIS WITHOUT GETTING DRY SOCKET? AND WHEN AM I OUT OF THE WOODS (SO TO SPEAK) FROM NEEDING TO BE CONCERNED OF GETTING DRY SOCKET?? I GO BACK NEXT TUESDAY FOR REMAINING TEETH TO BE EXTRACTED. I ASKED ABOUT IMMEDIATE DENTURES AND THEY SAID 1- WE DONT DO THOSE HERE AND 2- YOUR INSURANCE WONT COVER THAT COST SO THEY SAID I HAVE TO WAIT 8 WEEKS THEN COME IN FOR 4-5 VISITS IN PREPARATION FOR DENTURES SO IT SOUNDS LIKE 12-13 WEEKS WITH NOOOOO TEETH---UGH--NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW AT ALL!!! :cry:

Hi sorry that you felt pain when the teeth were being removed, the dentist should have made sure you were properly numbed.

You are usually safe from dry socket 72 hours after extraction, but it has been known for people to get it after this time. The longer you can go with out smoking it will be better.

I do feel for you having to go without teeth for 8 weeks, hopefully it will pass soon for you.

Good for you for going to get this done and good luck :clover::clover::clover: with your next appointment :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Please do not smoke. There are alternatives to hold you over during the time you are healing from the extractions. You can try a nicotine patch (bought at any pharmacy). I promise that dry sockets are worse than craving a cigarette