• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

At home temp filling

L

Laurenjayde22

Hi
My name is Lauren
I’ve recently lost parts of two teeth one on the left and one on the right.
I’m really scared of the dentist (I’m 25 and scared to death of dentist!) so I bought an at home temporary filling kit.
I’ve had them in for about 3 days and finding it really hard to eat anything without been paranoid that they will fall out.
My friends have said I should be okay but I darent eat anything without the fear of knowing they will come out and I’ll have to keep filling it in each time. I’m constantly checking with my tongue to see if they are still in place.
What shall I do?
any advice would be great fully appreciated

Hi Lauren, welcome to the forum! I have been in your situation. I lost a filling in a molar in 2011 (I was 23) and started to use temporary filling due to my dental phobia. The tooth also broke a bit, so I needed to jam quite a bit in there. I bought so much temporary filling in eight years and was paranoid to go anywhere without it. At times, the temporary filling did fall out and I would replace it. I would carry it in my pocket everywhere I went, so I completely understand the fear of it coming out and checking it constantly with your tongue. It took me eight years to get it looked at and the temporary filling caused no permanent damage that I know of. When I finally went, he took out the temporary filling and put a real filling in and it’s been okay for almost two years now. It’s unbelievably scary to make that decision to go in, so do what you have to do to get by for now. I will say, looking back at my 20s, I wish I would have went sooner, but it’s easier said than done. I wasted a lot of time worrying about my teeth, but I do get it. My advice to you is that the thought of going in never gets easier and it will be one of the hardest things you’ll do, but it’s 100% worth it when you’re ready. Hang in there!

Thankyou for responding
Could you eat normally on it though because that’s what I’m most paranoid about.. I just want to be able to eat without the fear of it coming out.. I don’t want to be on a soft diet for the foreseeable that’s all..

Thankyou for responding
Could you eat normally on it though because that’s what I’m most paranoid about.. I just want to be able to eat without the fear of it coming out.. I don’t want to be on a soft diet for the foreseeable that’s all..

I just ate whatever I would normally eat. Yes, it came out sometimes (temporary filling bought in stores will not last forever no matter how careful you are), but I would just replace it as needed.

So your saying just eat normally on either side where the fillings are and if they come out just replace it?

So your saying just eat normally on either side where the fillings are and if they come out just replace it?

That’s what I did. The only real solution is to visit a dentist and have him fill it. Temporary filling is temporary and will have to be replaced. You can certainly be extra careful and not chew anything sticky or too hard to make it last longer, but regardless, it’ll have to be replaced over and over again until a permanent filling is put in. I really do wish I bit the bullet and went sooner. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and worrying about it, and it was fixed in less than 15 minutes. Eight years of fear and worrying about it and fixed in 15 minutes.

Could you be a gem and give me some ideas on what foods I can eat that would be safe for the temps as I’ve got them on either side of my mouth .. one on the top left and one on the bottom right

Back