• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back from long overdue appointment and survived!

A

angel123

So I made it to the dentist chair - the dentist was GREAT, took things at my pace and said I could stop at any point.

Proud that got through a chat - I explained that extremely phobic, then an examination and x-rays and then he said the ONE thing I wasn't expecting "it's not as bad as you think".

So I need one filling, and deep cleaning (some pockets) , and yes, as I thought my front bottom teeth are loose but they are staying for now and he seemed hopeful with proper cleaning there was hope they would bed in (think that's what he said). I'm going to have a composite filling and also when we are back on track look at whitening/improving my smile.

I wish I'd done this 3 years ago and saved myself anguishing every single day. I found it very very hard but I'm confident now that I have the appts and will keep them and will get back on track to having a healthy mouth. Even if over time my front teeth don't last I feel I can face it, hopefully.

Hope this encourages other people feeling like me - make the appt - it can't possibly be worse than the feeling of dread hanging over you each and every day, honest.

Have the filling in a couple of weeks, unfortunately no hygienist appt til start of July - they are booked up :o but I can do this. There I've said it now so I have to.

That 's really great! :yayy::welldone: Well Done :)

Congrats to you, Angel. You are an inspiration to those of us ready to make the same commitment. So happy you found a dentist who worked for you!

thanks so much - I'm having the filling in a couple of hours - quite calm for now - hopefully it's another step in the right direction

Hope all ok getting the filling, xx

I've had more fun times - apparently the decay was quite deep and on the nerve :o:o Anyway managed 50mins without running out screaming and he thought the tooth *should* be ok. Don't have to see the dentist for 6 months now but have hygienist appts to get through - quite a few of them I would think.

Couldn't fault the way the dentist dealt with me though and I'm proud I did it

Just to update - back from a deep clean at the hygienist - who was lovely - surprised myself by going to appt as if I were off to take a bus - really quite calm.

Have to go back in 2 months to check on progress but it's all going in the right direction.

Hope others can be encouraged to make the call and get themselves back to good oral health - it's so so much better than the aleternative - I'm never going to feel that good about my teeth but at least I no longer feel awful about them ;D

Back