• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad local experience

L

Lozboz

Hi. I have posted before about my apicectomy. It has taken me a long time, and a really lovely dentist, to not be absolutely terrfiied of dental treatment. Unfortunately, I saw a private dentist (I was not in pain so couldn’t get an appointment with my NHS dentist) as I had a broken tooth. When she injected to numb it, it didn’t numb up so she did a second injection right at the back of my mouth and it sent a jolt of intense awful pain, literally a second, that made me jump. The feeling didn’t last and it did then numb up. But I did swell up the following day and it was sore.
I am now having pain in the tooth, I knew it was touch and go as it broke off quite low. I think I’ll need an extraction as I can’t afford root canal treatment. But I have lost my confidence and can’t help but wonder if I’ll have the same experience again with the numbing as it’s the same tooth. Can anyone reassure me that this was normal? Thanks.

Sounds like the dentist managed to get a direct hit on the nerve. It's a bit of a shot in a million to do it.
You're talking about touching something about 0.5 mm in diameter, going blindly through about 2cm of tissue from about 30cm away. It's harmless but agreed it's scary when it happens.

As above though, it's very unlikely to happen again :)

Back