• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Beyond Terrified

N

noraelena

To whom it may concern out there I'll cut right to the chase. I haven't been to the dentist in well over 20 years due to bad experiences with a childhood dentist and my orthodontist. Now it's gotten to the point to where I would rather deal with the daily pain of a cracked molar than the idea of sitting in a dentist chair.

I'm pretty sure I've run the gamut of gum disease, cavities, enamel erosion and the whole nine yards. Something's got to give. I need some help in taking that first step but am literally petrified. On the other hand, I can't walk around with damaged teeth and a crooked smile for the rest of my life. It's gotten to the point where I'm even self-conscious about smiling because my teeth have shifted due to this broken molar among other things.

I'm not looking forward to what's coming but need to do it to feel better about myself.

Please help.:cry:

Hey, welcome to the forum. A lot of us here have been in the exact same situation you are. The longer it's left, the more big a mountain it becomes in your head, until you feel like you can never climb it!

The good news is that you totally can, and the hardest part of it will be overcoming the fear. Everything else is easy in comparison. Dentists are much better now. Please try to disregard your childhood experience - I know it's hard to do that, but dentistry has changed so much! Not only are they more efficient, with better tools, they are trained to deal with anxious patients. They should treat you with compassion. Try searching online for a dentist that has good reviews!

If you can make that first appointment, you'll have overcome a huge hurdle. At an initial appointment, all they would do is have a look around, take some x-rays, and work out a treatment plan. That's not so scary, right? You can tell the dentist about your fears, and they should go at a pace you can handle. If you're afraid of the treatments themselves, you can ask about sedation options.

Do have a partner or family you can turn to for support? Having someone there to help you along can make a huge difference.

My advice, as always, is to focus on the end goals. How great you will feel to know your dental problems are being treated. To not be in pain any more! You can do this. :) :hug4: