• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bonding composite to porcelain

  • Thread starter Thread starter annie778
  • Start date Start date
A

annie778

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
819
deleted
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a slightly chipped bridge and would like it repaired if possible. The dentist that did it said the only way was to replace the bridge, but I'd like another opinion.
 
It certainly is possible to bond to porcelain with composite resin, and it's survivability will be dependant on it's location, thermal cycling (eg. drinking hot coffee, cooling down, drinking another sip, cooling down.... biting into an ice cream bar, warming up, etc), the type of adhesive, porcelain, etc, etc.

Adding a small amount to change a contour likely will last better than a repair to an edge although I have had repairs there last for quite some time. I always warn people that it's a bit of a crapshoot since some last and some don't. Some dentists seem to have really good success with them, but my results are mixed at best. I do notice marginal microleakage or staining over time with some cases.

The process involves roughing the porcelain surface slightly, etching with hydrofluoric acid (gotta watch that stuff :( - it's very strong and nasty) for about 4 minutes (boring part), following whatever adhesive instructions for the kit you have, and then bonding on the composite resin.

Keep in mind that altering crown contours near the gums can sometimes have an effect on the position of the gums over time.
 
You can add as little as you want really since it usually blends in. Composite resins are slightly translucent so they typically should not be visible for an add-on procedure like that. I wouldn't want to cover the entire front face of the porcelain as that would be asking for more trouble than it would benefit.

Over the years though keep in mind that composite resin does tend to yellow and stain especially at the edges while the porcelain doesn't so there may be a need to replace it periodically.

EDIT: OOOh I see what area you are actually referring to. We don't call that area a margin. The margin of a crown is where the outside surface meets the tooth structure. It is the collar of the crown nearest the gum. You are referring to an area nearer the interproximal area of the crown (eg. distal-facial contour of the lateral incisor) to bulk out the shape there. Again, that area should be possible to bond to, but there may be higher stresses as food is incised and moves past the area.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Mine is on the lingual aspect of a molar, but it's not on my "dominant" chewing side, and it's a relatively small chip. I think I'll ask my dentist if repair might be an option. Worst he can say is no, and even if we do try it, the worst that can happen is it won't work.
 
Getting my bridge was also a very unpleasant experience, from the procedure itself to the dentist that did it, and I'd just as soon not repeat it if there's a way that can be avoided.
 
Back
Top