• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone Loss / Gum Recession

P

phobichick

Hi guys! Im new to this forum and posted the below here earlier today...I also posted it under the section for dentists help as well...so here goes, Im pasting my post back here in the hopes someone may have gone thru the same thing as me and what did you decide to do? Thx

--------------------------------

I'm a female 45 yrs old, I go for 3 month cleanings & have been stable as far as pockets etc.., however we always knew one day the inevitable would happen because my lower front gums have been receeded for years, but looking at them now they are at the very furthest they will go at this point. Teeth are great as far as never having any decay problems -- unfortunately for me, my issues are:

bottom 4 teeth the gum is recessed to where there is "minimal gingival tissue left" (was told by dentist that if I dont really consider seeing the perio now about a possible gum graft that they just may not even be able to do it & could lose good teeth. My bottom teeth are perfect its sadly the gum recession is soooo thin and soooo low and I have no darkening or any sensitivities "yet".

Other problem is on bottom 4 fronts...the bone loss is alot and is "horizontal".

I guess my question is..is there anyone out there with any similar situations or had this type of thing happen and if so, what did you end up deciding to do. Im freaking out all day and letting this consume me like some huge baby and at the same time I want to be gutsy and say look you have no choice in the matter anyways because you will FREAK OUT if you lose your teeth.....I wish I could be like some people and just make the call, get in the chair and say "just do it".

I guess this sounds more like a venting post but I would really like to know if anyone has had gum grafting before, how bad was your situation or was it similar to mine and is there hope for me without of course you seeing my teeth lol...also I have a feeling the "implant" talk would come in to play but again..how can you do implants with bone loss...unless of course they do bone grafting which comes to my next question....

Isnt that PAINFUL as you know what???? C'mon people tell me all details cuz I like to know every single detail (the good, the bad and the ugly) lol. Im a nervous wreck about this!! Also do you know if its possible to have bone grafting IF the teeth still exist?? Or....is it only when teeth have been extracted?? With bone grafting Im not sure exactly what all it really entails but if anyone had it done I'd like to know about pain, how long etc...the obvious questions and also did you use your own bone or cadivar bone? (yuckie) but Im not seeing myself going into the hospital to have it drawn from my hip!

Ok Im yacking..sorry for the lengthy email Im just really a big baby about this...but at the same time Im getting daggon SICK of the worries!!!

PS** I forgot to mention that when we looked at my last xrays last couple years it literally looks as if the bottoms of my front bottom teeth are literally sitting on "top of the bone thats left"...I tell ya, they are so surprised they dont wiggle, am loose or have any darkening or any sensitivity...but...lately, Im starting to "feel" a little strange feeling at the margin of the one tooth!! Again, the dentist said last week that I should start thinking about this because I have veryyyy thin and minimal gingival tissue left...so I cant help wonder why a gum graft would even work at this point??? hmmm? I mean it doesnt ADD to the gum right? Its onlly adding "thickness" to the bottom of whats left of that gum? Plus getting one gum graft leads to another doesnt it? and so on...like a temp fix???
Thanks!

Hi Phobichick, and :welcome:!

I can't really provide too much information in response to your questions. However, there have definitely been others on here who have gone through the procedures you're contemplating and, almost without exception, people have reported that the procedures actually sound much scarier than they actually are. I'm sure that some of those people will soon respond to your message.

In the meantime, know that we're all here to offer support and advice in what ever way we can. You will get through this and we'll be here to help. :grouphug:

Vict4ia,

Wow I really appreciate your response and even what you said it releives me "some" ...this is seriously making me crazy! yikes! I am hoping some will respond with similar situations.....I was really dumb to go on youtube looking up bone grafting surgeries and that was a HUGE mistake for me! Now Im really freaked out. I know things sometimes do look worse then they are and especially the "unknown" is what gets my anxieties up in a roar.

Today I have been talking myself thru making that call. I just hate getting overwhelmed as it really gets my anxieties going in circles. Even though I have a dentist I go to and they referred me to the Perio I saw 5 years ago and ended up crying and not hearing a thing she said....I couldnt help but call more locally* here just to see what other dentists would recommend their patients to for a perio. Thing Im finding is of course...they recommend the closest ones here but I do get one particular one for closeby...and the other one I saw a half hour away 5 years ago...well she was new then so of course the wheels turn in my head about which way to go/who to go to...and these consults are not free:(

Thanks so much I feel I've been guided to these forums/board and Im so looking for the support Im seeing here with others....thank God for you guys! Thanks for the warm welcome:))

Hugs*

Hello and :welcome:,

We're glad to have you with us! I noticed that you also posted this for the dentists to answer which is a great idea. I'm sure they can explain things for you and maybe even tell you what to expect.

I wish that I was able to help more as I did have bone grafting done but I was out like a light, under GA. I needed an apico (a root was removed from tooth due to infection) and because the infection had also caused bone loss the dentist did a bone graft at the same time. He used a material that forms a hard structure and the bone is supposed to adhere to it grow around it. At least that's how it was explained to me! It did work because he said my last x-ray looked really good. Unfortunately because I was not awake I have no idea how long it took or what it entailed. The evening of the surgery I did have some minor throbbing but I had so much work done at once that there's really no way to know what was responsible for it!!! At that point, I didn't care anyway, I was just relieved to have it over with!!! :)

There is a member who had gum surgery and if I recall, he said the procedure wasn't painful. If you'd like to read his thread, here is the link:

I hope that it will give you some comfort.

Best wishes as you move forward. Please let us know how we can help! ;)

:grouphug:
Pam

I had pretty advanced periodontal disease and had osseous flap surgery and bone grafts on all four quadrants of my mouth. The surgery consisted of making an incision, cleaning out the periodontal pockets, smoothing the bone that was eroded and then putting in the bone grafts and stitching you up. The bone grafts were sterilized cadaver bone and it comes like a powder in a bottle. It sounds way worse than it is, I didn't have much pain at all. It's worth doing to save your teeth, I don't regret having done it.

Hi Pam! Im new to these boards and hope Im doing this reply right....sounds like you did pretty well with yours and I like to hear you say you had minor throbbing -- I had gone on youtube like a dummy and watched some videos of bone grafting which have now freaked me out! But I did see one in particular that sounds like what you said you had done...(with that material that they place over after they put that powder bone in?). Anyways, Im glad you are through with your procedure..how are things now? Thanks too for the link on his story....this board I have a feeling will help me...I hope! :) Im just so glad I found you guys! I have been meaning to get on here much sooner but honestly? I have had NO SLEEP and this has consumed my every minute of every day for a week now. Actually I couldnt eat anything but two atkins shakes today...I cant sit still thinking about this mess and all the options Im sure will be said to me by my perio anyways....Im about to say PULL THEM PULL THEM and be done with this!!! Im sick to death of it and I already suffer anxiety so it doesnt help at all. :((

I had pretty advanced periodontal disease and had osseous flap surgery and bone grafts on all four quadrants of my mouth. The surgery consisted of making an incision, cleaning out the periodontal pockets, smoothing the bone that was eroded and then putting in the bone grafts and stitching you up. The bone grafts were sterilized cadaver bone and it comes like a powder in a bottle. It sounds way worse than it is, I didn't have much pain at all. It's worth doing to save your teeth, I don't regret having done it.
Hi CindyS....thats a bit relieving to hear your story thanks for sharing that....although Im not sure(?) but about 5 years ago I think the perio mentioned that same word (osseous) on a bottom right molar but I refused it. She called me at home and said she will recommend it to patients if need be and some do it and some refuse like I did and its ok. So Im not sure how that tooth looks but I do and have gone for 3 mo cleanings at my reg dentist as I got tired of forking out $$ for both perio and dental and so far, have remained very stable. My dilema now is my bottom 4 front ..well the gum recession is just awful bad and so very thin that I think when I finally go for this consult she may not even say a gum graft is even an option at this point..and honestly? Im not sure if Im thinking irrational here but I am almost ready to have pulled down there.... yet Im scared outta my mind! Hubby says I would only need gas but if I remember right I think that made my heart beat very fast and didnt like it..I would have to be twilight sleep!!! For sure!

Im not sure if when I want to ask another question if I should post here? or make a new title under support??

Thanks for sharin your story.....am glad you had a successful story to share....this board is the best...thx:))

Im not sure if when I want to ask another question if I should post here? or make a new title under support??

If it is a dental question and you want a dentist to answer, it should be placed in the 'Dentistry Questions' Section. You can keep to the same thread in that section if you want but often if the questions are on different topics it makes sense to put them in a separate thread.
In the Support Section, we prefer posters to stick to one thread as far as possible (but don't worry - the moderators can merge them if it seems to get out of hand :)!) because it makes it easier for people to quickly see the whole history...what they said before and therefore give more effective tuned in answers rather than generalised ones.

But don't worry too much as I said moderators can move stuff.

On your getting the four receded bottom teeth taken out if necessary, I would say that is likely to be very straightforward and just local anaesthetic would be sufficient for many people. The front teeth have fewer roots than molars and so are easier to extract I think. Your dentist would be able to advise your options...oral sedation might be cheaper than i/v sedation and as your husband says nitrous could help a lot if you are mainly just nervous about receiving the LA shots. They don't pull teeth out, they wiggle them out and you are not supposed to feel any pain during the procedure. Best wishes :grouphug:

Last edited:
But don't worry too much as I said moderators can move stuff.

On your getting the four receded bottom teeth taken out if necessary, I would say that is likely to be very straightforward and just local anaesthetic would be sufficient for many people. The front teeth have fewer roots than molars and so are easier to extract I think. Your dentist would be able to advise your options...oral sedation might be cheaper than i/v sedation and as your husband says nitrous could help a lot if you are mainly just nervous about receiving the LA shots. They don't pull teeth out, they wiggle them out and you are not supposed to feel any pain during the procedure. Best wishes :grouphug:
Thanks Brit and Mornin to ya'....

I know the extractions sound straight forward but on my first and only consult with perio back 5 years ago I believe she said that we could "try" the gum grafting and it would be no guarantee she could tell me on "how long it would help hold in the front teeth ...probably a different story if I had more gum there. This is just so sad becuase teeth down there are good, no decay at all, overall dental health "stable" and pockets 3, 4 and maybe a 5 or two and maybe not even the 5!? Just sad to see so little gum there and horizontal bone loss yet teeth good. This is why I believe she may say now that there isnt even an option "unless of course I fought her for the gum graft" for temp fix...but then again...ya know what? I have showed many people things in life that they "thought" wouldnt work and I proved them wrong....but? at the same time..not so sure Im in control of this one tho? Ok I sound confused this morning again.....

I was aware of the fronts having one root...thx....and Im sure they dont have to crackle, snap and pop (haha) --making all that racket noise I dont wanna hear....and Im not afraid of the needles at all its the noises and wiggling...since I have been sooooo conscientious of KEEPING the teeth and not wanting them to fall out...I cant imagine just being numbed to watch them take them out in front of my eyes! Ok Im weird like that but I cant help it! yack! lol. Oral sedation what do they use? I already have ativan on hand...been taking that every other day (dont like to take unless absolutely need to)....but to calm the anxieties. :hidesbehindsofa:

I saw your question about oral sedation....

I take Xanax regularly, like your Ativan, and it was fine for me to go ahead and use that for my two treatments with oral sedation. Normally, I take from 1/4 to 1 mg of Xanax for anxiety. For sedation purposes, they had me take 3 mg. It definitely did the trick, and it was nice to be able to use a medication that I already felt comfortable using.

I was TOTALLY zoned out, in a very comfortable way-- no worry, no anxiety, and no unwanted bad effects. The worst thing I can think of to say about it was that it erased not only most of my memories of the procedures, but also most of the rest of the day as well! That feels a little strange to me... but I think it was worth it.

Even better, after having two appointments in this way, I felt comfortable enough to have my third WITHOUT the Xanax. It helped me have positive enough experiences to take away a lot of the lingering anxiety even about future work, know what I mean?

:grouphug:

Thanks Charity, :)

I know what you mean....I guess only because I've never had a tooth pulled before the "unknowing" and the "watchful eyes" of myself (hehe) I have that fear of not being in control. I guess cuz I've been so extremely conscientious about "keeping those teeth" but to watch or know someones about to pull them with some pliers I may not be able to finish. Anxiety stinks! I hate it and as I type this I cry. I dont know why I let this get to me so much and this usually happens though and then after something has been done (not dental wise yet) but just anything in general that I might have been extremely anxious over then when that "thing" is over I cant believe I made myself so crazy. I sure hope its not that bad (should I need the bottom 4 fronts extracted -- but i do believe that will be my option at this point).

So with you taking just more of what you already took, I guess someone had to drive you there right? I used to have 1 mg of ativan but for some reason down the road the doc started rx'ing me .5 (half). Before, with the 1mg I'd just cut in half and try not to take...but with these .5's its hard to cut them in half...and thats a real small dose! HA! Not sure...I mean thats a great thought though because like you said ....you are familiar with it already and thats good to know. So what did you have done? You like your dentist I take it. Well Im so glad you made out well with yours...I love to hear all stories I can...the good, bad and ugly. lol. Thanks for the tip...that is something to at least consider....although I think I need an ativan now! The dental has consumed me wayyyyy too much and I dont like this at all.

Hugs* :grouphug:

Last edited:
The first time was for the extraction of three wisdom teeth, two uppers and the lower right. The second time was a crown prep on one molar and some fillings-- not sure how many thanks to the drugs lol. The third (Xanax-free)was just last week, when the permanent crown was put on the prepped tooth, and I got a few more fillings. Though I wouldn't previously have believed it possible, all three were pain-free. And yeah, I did have to have someone drive me to those first two visits. I doubt I would have found my way out to the parking lot by myself!!!

Yes, I do like my dentist a lot-- NOW, that is. Before all of this, the only dental treatment I had ever had done was one extraction a few years ago. It was done by a horrible barbarian of a dentist who made it a terribly traumatic experience and really kicked my fears into high gear. I was absolutely terrified at the idea of THREE extractions, remembering how horrible just the ONE had been-- but with my new dentist, there was no comparison at all to that prior experience. They made sure I was comfortable, both physically and mentally, at all times. After experiencing this a time or two, I finally got the picture that they were going to take good care of me and not cause me pain. Listen to everyone here when they tell you how important it is to find the right one for you!!!! If a dentist is rude or uncaring, or you just don't feel like they're taking you seriously.... well, now I know that they're not ALL like that. :)

You can always read my journal if you want the whole story. I can't wait to read your happy ending one day soon!!! :XXLhug:

I finally got the picture that they were going to take good care of me and not cause me pain. Listen to everyone here when they tell you how important it is to find the right one for you!!!! If a dentist is rude or uncaring, or you just don't feel like they're taking you seriously.... well, now I know that they're not ALL like that. :)

You can always read my journal if you want the whole story. I can't wait to read your happy ending one day soon!!! :XXLhug:

I hope I did your quote right up there..lol (being new and all)...anyways Im SO glad Charity you found the right dentist for you and ya know what?? I sure cant wait to tell my story AFTER its happened too! I just cant wait for that day! Man I cant wait! But right now I might have to even look for a new dentist even tho Im in this dilema:(( Just changes and buyouts and some negativity vibes going on....but Im going to remember what you said and if anything doesnt feel right then you move on. I am trying to figure out whether you can just go check out a dentist (to meet him or her) "just to meet them" without exam or anything? Ya know, see office, staff, hygenist and dentist ...or...do you have to set a consult or exam up and do the same thing you just had done a week ago!? I wish there was one place people could go to either online or a resource place to see their faces, read their bios or whatever..I mean I know some have websites but not all do. I wonder how much I'd be able to save on $$ if I do go the oral sedative route rather then be put under (gulp*)

Thanks again....Hugs* :XXLhug:

Hi Phobichick, I have been reading these boards for a couple of years and saw your post and wanted to reply, so I signed up.

I am 45 years old too and have a serious dental phobia which started when I was very young, w/dentist lying and telling me things weren't going to hurt when they did. I've had a couple of dental surgeries throughout the years and now, at 45 years old am absolutely petrified of sitting in "the chair." I will not even tell you how long I went between cleanings because it is ridiculous, but I finally had to go back because I had a toothache. Then, after I swore I'd never let myself go that long again, I did the same thing again and waited for another problem to arise before going back.

I have now found an awesome dentist, and he works with me to help with my phobias. It is so bad I have to take valium just to get into the dentist's office and sit in the chair for a cleaning, and if they have to use the drill, I have to have IV sedation (which I have to pay for myself as it isn't covered by insurance).

I had the bone graft surgery done about a year ago, without IV sedation. The dentist said I didn't need it, and I of course didn't believe it was possible for me to have dental surgery without IV sedation. He prescribed two 1 mg Valiums an hour ahead of time as well as 2 Vicoprofins (I already take Xanax as needed for general anxiety disorder and panic attacks). He also gave me tons of novicane before the procedure, my jaw felt like it was hanging to the ground and I was numb for many hours after the procedure. But other than the first shot of novicane, I felt nothing except for pressure when they were doing the surgery...there was no pain whatsoever.

Other than being uncomfortable with the pressure, I survived the bone graft without the sedation and am still amazed to be typing this and telling you that I survived. It took about an hour and a half for the surgery, and I had stiches in for 10 days which I had to go back and have removed.

I did make sure that the dentist wrote me a prescription ahead of time for pain pills so I would not have any pain after the surgery. I filled before my appointment and made sure I took them as needed and had no pain at all other than a sore jaw from the novicaine shots.

Other than that, I didn't have any problems. Trust me, as big a phobic as I am, if I could sit in the chair and have this procedure done, you can too!

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

Back