• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Filling

W

Whimsyhe

I'm in high school, and currently have six fillings (I was a stubborn child who brushed my teeth for thirty seconds and then stopped, please don't judge me), and the one on my molar right behind my top right canine just flew out of my mouth while flossing. I don't use string, I use the picks, and have had trouble flossing behind this particular tooth for a while (I have no idea how long precisely). The thread would always fray and unravel, but I never thought it was an issue. It's been really hard to get the thread out from between my teeth once it's in, too. I'd have to yank it out. Well, now part of the filling broke off. This filling is in the center of the tooth and goes down to the side in the back, I believe. I can feel the absence of material in that part of my mouth. It tastes a little funny, too. As far as I can tell, it isn't sensitive to high or low temperatures. And another thing: when the filling broke and fell on the floor, there was something else near it when I went to pick it up. There was a small, off white, rough, roundish, hard thing there too, with a brownish ring around it. I dunno if this was a decayed part of my tooth that came out with the filling or just a random crumb on the floor. I can't tell if it's part of my tooth, mainly because it doesn't look like one. Like I said, the texture is rough and the color is less white than the rest of my teeth. And why would there be a reddish-brown ring around it? Dried blood? It sort of feels like there is a small divet in the back of my tooth that it could have come from, or perhaps that's just where the filling was, but I could be imagining it. I don't even know. My mom is gonna call the dentist tomorrow so I can get it refilled ASAP, but I want to make sure I don't make the problem worse. Any tips or precautions I should take? Is anything I've described not normal when it comes to broken fillings? This has never happened to me before..

Also, I don't know how old the filling is. It's kinda dark and doesn't have much luster, and I haven't had a cavity for a long time. Just in case that information is important.

Thank you! ^.^

Hi and welcome!

I'm not a dentist, but I think this is what one would say. The best thing you can do is to get it refilled as soon as possible and to keep brushing gently until then. You just don't want to exposed tooth to decay further. Decay tends to happen very slowly, so waiting a few days to get it fixed should be fine. You can also ask your mom to ask when she calls to make the appointment if there's anything special you should be doing.

Good luck!

Back