• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can anesthesia cause damage to my sinus??

J

jboss

I have been through such an ordeal with my dentist. It started as a simple filling. I didn't even make it down to my car before the pain started. I was told to give it 24 hours, that the cavity was deep. Anyway, I spent the night in the most excrutiating pain, like someone was pressing on my nerve. I went back the next day and they took an x-ray, found a terrible infection, and opened the tooth up to drain it. Huge improvement. Now began the long process of a root canal. When I went back that Saturday for them to finish the root canal, it all spiraled out of control.

They were almost done and then suddenly, out of nowhere, all the feeling came back to my teeth! She injected me with more anesthesia which did not numb my teeth at all, it just ran up into my face, all the way up to my eye. She gave me more, and more. And my face just got number and number, all the way up to my eye. My face was swollen for 3 days! Totally full of anesthesia. I was in so much pain after this, I was popping pain killers every two hours just to bare it.

She took more x-rays, said the infection was gone, could not explain why that happened to me just to take a break and let it calm down before they proceeded anymore. They root canal is done now, no crown yet, but both times after the horror story, they injected me and it went up into my face again.

Now I'm suffering daily from tooth pain, face pain, sinus pain, headaces and eye pain on that side of my face. My question is, could she have been injecting the anesthesia into my sinus?? And done some kind of permanent damage? I'm at the end of my rope here. I'm just so tired of the pain, I don't know what to do anymore.

No, she couldn't have injected anaesthetic into the sinus, but what could have happened is that the antiseptic which was used to wash out the root canal, could have gone out of the tooth and either into the tissues of your face or into the sinus.

It's one of those unfortunate accidents which can occur during root canal treatment and to be honest, there's nothing much you can do to either anticipate it or prevent it. Or unfortunately, to treat it :(

I realise that's not much comfort for you at the moment, but that's the likely explanation.

Back