• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can anyone save teeth after getting moderate periodontitis?

T

Terry4321

Hello,
I just went to see dentist and was told that I have moderate periodontitis with bone loss and gum recession. I should have done that earlier to save myself from this anxiety but I did not so I am extremely regreting and blaming myself now.
My dentist told me that I will need a series of deep cleaning and will see what happens then.
I am scared if I am going to lost all my teeth (I am 33yrs) so I am trying everything I can now (oil pulling in the morning, flossing once at night, brushing twice a day, salt and water is used for multiple time per day).
I just finished my 1st cleaning and I am going to another one tomorrow morning.
If somebody experienced moderate periodontitis as me before, please help to advise if you can still save your teeth.
Thank you so much,

Moderate periodontal disease is a very vague diagnosis. Do you have pocketing and how widespread and how deep are the pockets?

Yes of course you can still save your teeth, you're only 33, periodontal disease takes decades to get to a tooth losing stage. If you're putting in some effort now, then it can be stopped dead in its tracks.

Forget the oil pulling, it does no good whatever, neither does the salt water rinsing.

Get your dentist or hygienist to check your flossing technique and get some disclosing tablets to make sure you're using your brush effectively.

If you smoke, STOP. This is the single best thing you can do.

Moderate periodontal disease is a very vague diagnosis. Do you have pocketing and how widespread and how deep are the pockets?

Yes of course you can still save your teeth, you're only 33, periodontal disease takes decades to get to a tooth losing stage. If you're putting in some effort now, then it can be stopped dead in its tracks.

Forget the oil pulling, it does no good whatever, neither does the salt water rinsing.

Get your dentist or hygienist to check your flossing technique and get some disclosing tablets to make sure you're using your brush effectively.

If you smoke, STOP. This is the single best thing you can do.
Thank you so much for your reply!
I just saw my dentist today and she measured my pockets, she said most of them are 3mm, there are just a few with 4mm and 5mm. She found only 1 which is 7mm that I will need to take more care.
She said its not really moderate periodontitis, but its not mild as well. So I guess I am somewhere between that.
She did guide me how to floss properly and I dont smoke btw.
Base on your experience, do you think that I might be able to keep my teeth? Should I change my diet or anythint else I can do to save my teeth?

Thank you for helping me,

Yes, I think you'll be able to keep your teeth. Unfortunately (because as a dentist it's quite frustrating!) it's all down to you and your home care, keep it up with the brushing/flossing and you won't have a problem keeping them.
Sadly many patients don't seem to be able or willing to do this and the results are disappointing.

No, there's nothing you can do with respect to your diet to change anything.

Back