• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can feel the seam of a filling again 2 weeks after having it polished?

E

E93

So i had a filling a month ago (different filling than the one my other thread is about). I could sort of feal the seam of it with my tongue, so i went to the dentist to have it smooth it out.

The first time i went the dentist said she couldn't see anything so she couldn't smooth anything out, so given that i had also other mouth issues to deal with in that session, i decided to wait and see if it would smooth out on its own.

The second time i went i insisted and spent a lot of time pointing out where i felt ther seam, and she smoothed it out and for a while it felt smooth.

Now, after two weeks from that smoothing i can feel that seam again, even if not as much as before.

The weird thing is that both than and now, it sort of feels like the upper part of the teeth (where i assume the filling is? I am not sure) is slightly bigger than the lower part of the teeth, causing this feelable small dislevel.

i have this nightmare scenario in my head where the filling is just a tiny bit too small and the dentist to not have to do the filling again (cause you can't really add things to fillings) decided to instead put some varnish or whatever on the tooth, to make it feel smooth for a while and get me out of the office and now is wearing out, bringing back the seam. I know this is very much improbable, but i'd like some reassurance that it's a thing that can't happen and i'm just making it up in my head?

Aside from that, should i schedule another appointment? Or wait till my next checkup in january? It doesn't bother me hugely aside from the anxiety, but it is also there... and my dentist is far away...

Is this stuff normal? I remember one of the filling i got three years ago, sort of felt like this for a week, and then sort of smooth it out on its own...

Also this is a new dentist to the one that usually did my stuff in this practice on the last couple of years, and this is like the second time i had minor problems with filling she did, and the way she treated me wasn't particularly reassuring... but also getting in to a new practice is expensive and also i don't really know anyone who could reccomend me a good dentist as i'm not a uk native... i am not sure what to do... is there any way to be sure my filling has been done well?

Last edited:
This last batch of filling is just making me incredibly anxious... i hate it :\

Hi ElaineW93,

while I can't tell you whether it is possible to feel the filling or not, I think having a dentist you trust is really important. It sounds like you do not feel being in the best hands with your current one and the fact that this is not the first time you had issues doesn't make it better. I am sorry to read that the dentist literally refused to smooth anything in the first time. Even if she wasn't able to spot anything, why not just polish over the tooth quickly to make you feel being taken seriously or to feel a bit reassured?! I totally get your wish for this to settle itself for you not having to get back there.

Is the other dentist who used to do your stuff still at the practice? Would it be an idea to ask to be seen by him/her to make sure you have someone you feel is competent?

I believe that if something is bothering you, it deserves attention, no matter how unreasonable is sounds or how probable your fears are. Even if it's "just in your head", it still is there and needs to be addressed. Having a nice dentist you trust and feel acts in your best interest is the main ingredient to get stuff like that sorted.

All the best wishes and hope you get a "dental" reply from a dentist soon.

Hi ElaineW93,

while I can't tell you whether it is possible to feel the filling or not, I think having a dentist you trust is really important. It sounds like you do not feel being in the best hands with your current one and the fact that this is not the first time you had issues doesn't make it better. I am sorry to read that the dentist literally refused to smooth anything in the first time. Even if she wasn't able to spot anything, why not just polish over the tooth quickly to make you feel being taken seriously or to feel a bit reassured?! I totally get your wish for this to settle itself for you not having to get back there.

Is the other dentist who used to do your stuff still at the practice? Would it be an idea to ask to be seen by him/her to make sure you have someone you feel is competent?

I believe that if something is bothering you, it deserves attention, no matter how unreasonable is sounds or how probable your fears are. Even if it's "just in your head", it still is there and needs to be addressed. Having a nice dentist you trust and feel acts in your best interest is the main ingredient to get stuff like that sorted.

All the best wishes and hope you get a "dental" reply from a dentist soon.
Thanks, i don't think my previous dentist works there anymore.

I was thinking about just looking at another place (especially since this one is like 1:30 hours away from my current home), but i wouldn't know where to start and i am not daring enough to just pick a random dentist near me. Also there's fees and stuff to being a new client.

For the record they can add to an existing filling. I am not saying it is the same as when it is fresh, but they can grind on it, etch, bond etc... been there and had it done to smooth something out. It is not a big deal at all because they aren’t cutting into live tooth hence no pain nor any need to be numbed.

Difference is I have a great dentist now. I didn’t even report it to him, but it drove him nuts; I could tell. Each time he would check after a cleaning he would pause on said tooth... probably thinking WTF??? He said nothing disparaging... After a cleaning he was like... sit here (walks me over to the other room). I am going to take care of that it won’t be a big deal. Two minutes later the curing light is gone... a bit of grinding and polishing and bam quality work three years later.

It’s been maybe 2 or 3 years and that tooth is still flawless. Not saying your name, but Thank You.

I have three new fillings (soon to be four more tomorrow), and I can understand feeling things that don’t feel right. To me, mine feel too low. It seems like he aims lower than higher not to mess with the bite, but I wish there were more in there too. I don’t know if I understand feeling the seam, but I can relate to it just not feeling right.

Since I haven’t had fillings in 17 years, I am telling myself that there’s an adjustment period. I know it has been a month for you, so that really stinks that you still feel the same. I would definitely bring it up next time you go in.

The weird thing is that sometimes i feel the seam way less than some other times when looking for it, like it seems way less pronounced sometimes... i don't know if that's normal... altough that might just be because of saliva or something... i dunno

Last edited:
Back