• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you paint teeth, to protect them?

N

neil9327

Junior member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
5
Location
Basingstoke, UK
A few years ago I had sealants applied to the cracks in the face of my back teeth, to prevent a buildup of plaque there. They worked quite well.
But they don't protect the whole tooth.
Does anyone know whether there is a type of paint, or similar, that a dentist could apply to the whole of the tooth, in order to prevent sugar, bacteria, and acid getting in contact with the tooth?

The reason I ask is that my dentist says I need to stop drinking diet cola, because the acid in it is attacking my teeth from all sides, and if I continue I might have to have some extracted (which would not be much fun since I often faint when I get dental work done).
 
Hi Neil,

it would be amazing if something like that existed.. we would than all get our teeth painted and could eat and drink whatever we want not having to worry about tooth decay.. (and would probably do quite poorly regarding overall health as sugar and acid is not the best for the rest of the body either). So sadly it doesn't work this way so reducing the coke intake and watch your nutrition is the only way to go..

All the best wishes
 
For example when dentists put white fillings in, they use a type of glue called a "bonding agent" to attach the filling material to the tooth. Could this bonding agent be applied as a thin later over the whole of the outside of the tooth, to create a barrier between the tooth material and the acids in food and drink?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentine_bonding_agents
 
I don’t think the bonding agent does anything from a “protection” standpoint. It’s the actual filling material that actually helps the tooth to remain durable (but even those break down over time). The bonding agent only attaches the filling material. Also, to my knowledge, that bonding agent has an etch in it that makes the tooth more porous and roughs it up a little (it’s acidic) so that the filling material can adhere to it so it may actually be detrimental to apply to healthy teeth.
 
I don’t think the bonding agent does anything from a “protection” standpoint. It’s the actual filling material that actually helps the tooth to remain durable (but even those break down over time). The bonding agent only attaches the filling material. Also, to my knowledge, that bonding agent has an etch in it that makes the tooth more porous and roughs it up a little (it’s acidic) so that the filling material can adhere to it so it may actually be detrimental to apply to healthy teeth.

Agreed. I guess you would have to have a layer of a different material to go on top - something hard wearing. Analogous to an undercoat/primer, and then a main coat of paint on top.
And yes I can see it might be detrimental to apply to healthy teeth, but if it is a one-time thing maybe it is worth it?
 
Maybe some day in the dental future. Nothing like that exists at the moment. Closest thing would be crowning all of your teeth but you would be doing significant damage to the original tooth structures and not without the risk of complications. Also, it would cost a fortune.
 
The only thing I've seen like "paint" is fluoride in varnish form.

Have you considered trying to find alternatives to soda or cutting down how much you drink? It can be difficult to quit and have gone back and forth with kicking the habit myself.
 
The only thing I've seen like "paint" is fluoride in varnish form.

Have you considered trying to find alternatives to soda or cutting down how much you drink? It can be difficult to quit and have gone back and forth with kicking the habit myself.

Fluoride varnish - just looking at it at the moment.
It looks potentially useful, although it only seems to stay on the teeth for a day or so. But at the same time some websites are saying that you should have it done every 6 months, which would perhaps imply that its protection lasts for longer?

Yes I am looking into alternatives to soda, and ultimately I will give it up completely if I have to. It just seems a bit of a shame if an alternative was possible. You can paint wood, metal, plastic, in fact just about all materials to protect them from the elements, but not teeth. I'm sure it must be technically possible.

I have tried adding food-grade Calcium Hydroxide to Pepsi Max in order to neutralise its phosphoric acid, and putting it though a coffee filter, but the stuff produced tastes really bad. I had thought that the Calcium Phosphate produced by the reaction would be insoluble, but I found out it isn't all that insoluble, and over a gram per litre was staying in solution, causing it to be undrinkable. Same problem with Sodium Bicarbonate.

Another thing I have tried is to make up my own coke with xylitol sweetener and pro-plus caffeine tablets. But it is proving impossible to dissolve the caffeine, despite its advertised solubility.
Why can't Pepsi produce a cola without adding acid to it?
 
I mean if you count Bubly (a Pepsi owned sparkling water) they sorta do? ;)

So I mentioned fluoride varnish just as an example but this would not provide the level of protection you are looking for. It has a higher dose of fluoride than what you would find in toothpaste or mouthwash but it does not stay on the teeth long.

My hygienist uses the varnish. After its painted on, they say you can't drink anything but water for like the next hour. However, its basically gone by the next time you have a meal.
 
I have so much to say to this discussion, I don’t know where to begin.
Let me just say that if someone will find the ultimate cure for cavities then not only this person will become a multi billionaire, other dental issues (periodontal, grinding, orthodontics, esthetic....) will remain.
 
I have so much to say to this discussion, I don’t know where to begin.
Let me just say that if someone will find the ultimate cure for cavities then not only this person will become a multi billionaire, other dental issues (periodontal, grinding, orthodontics, esthetic....) will remain.

Common sense dictates that I can't be the first person to have considered teeth coverings for protection, but I can't find any information about efforts along these lines anywhere.
Scientists must surely have considered ideas such as shrink-wrapping plastic onto the teeth, and use of tougher materials such as graphene. Indeed someone must have looked into the idea of firing a thin layer of zinc onto the teeth to protect them in the same way as zinc on dustbins protects them from acid erosion through the process of galvanization.
I would be tempted to try a paint on one of my own teeth, but believe I am likely to be reinventing the wheel, and that someone else has tried this and found either that it doesn't work (why?) or that some harm comes to the tooth (how?).
I did study a term of chemistry at university, but that was 30 years ago and I have forgotten it all by now - so I am at a disadvantage compared to the many scientists with more recent experience.
 
Fissure sealants... been around for decades and work really quite well in the correct circumstances.
You have to consider what an unfriendly environment you're considering with the mouth, massive temp changes, pH changes, wear and tear, assault with different chemicals...
 
Back
Top