• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can't bear the thought of another appointment

F

franklinm

Help, I feel like an idiot.

I just recently went to the dentist, January 27th to be exact and I couldn't stand it. I had a really rough hygenist one that I never had before and she didn't do a good job. :( After the cleaning was done I had 2 sealents and it really hurt. The most pain I've ever experienced at the dentist. When I saw my dentist he was really nice and gentle and put me at ease. I don't know what I can do to get over this fear. I was thinking before my appointment that when I entered the treatment room I would refuse to get in the chair and I could explain my fears then but it didn't happen. :shame: Once I got in the chair it was really hard to voice my fears and I couldn't do it. I don't think I can tell anyone and when I tried they just made fun of me :(. I feel really stupid trying to tell anybody, please help.

Re: Help, I feel like an idiot.

I don't think I can tell anyone and when I tried they just made fun of me :(. I feel really stupid trying to tell anybody, please help.

This sentance struck a chord with me. For them to make fun of you is serious professional misconduct. You should not ever have to encounter anything like this. If they do not respect patient's feelings, then they should not be in practice. You are not being silly, you are trying to express a genuine worry and concern to people who should know better. You need to complain and look for another practice.

I think you did well to stay there. Small minded people need to make fun of others to feel big themselves. They must have very sad little lives to have to do this to somebody, like GrahamDee says you would be better finding another dentist.
But before you agree to anything ask for an appointment just for a check up and nothing else and explain what happened and how you feel. If they aren't sympathetic to your feelings don't continue. Put this experience behind you, easy to say, hard to do, and move onward and upward as they say. When you are ready start looking for another dentist. GOOD LUCK :XXLhug:
You are not stupid and nobody on here will think you are. So you tell as many of us on here as you want.

I just recently went to the dentist, January 27th to be exact and I couldn't stand it. I had a really rough hygenist one that I never had before and she didn't do a good job. :( After the cleaning was done I had 2 sealents and it really hurt. The most pain I've ever experienced at the dentist. When I saw my dentist he was really nice and gentle and put me at ease. I don't know what I can do to get over this fear. I was thinking before my appointment that when I entered the treatment room I would refuse to get in the chair and I could explain my fears then but it didn't happen. :shame: Once I got in the chair it was really hard to voice my fears and I couldn't do it. I don't think I can tell anyone and when I tried they just made fun of me :(. I feel really stupid trying to tell anybody, please help.

i feel the same way. iam embarrassed and ashamed to talk about anything dental...with anyone at anytime. i hate watching ads for toothbrushes or toothpaste. i have to see a dentist...HAVE to. my nervs and mindstate are shot right now....

Did you complain to the dentist about the hygienist? Most are intolerant of their ancillaries being rough with patients because it costs them business.............I would definetly complain. If you are comfortable with the dentist, schedule your cleanings with a different hygienist, try and develop a relationship with one you trust and never put up with rough treatment- you are the customer!

rp

Actually I didn't try to explain my fears to anybody at that practice it was my friend.

Did you complain to the dentist about the hygienist? Most are intolerant of their ancillaries being rough with patients because it costs them business.............I would definetly complain. If you are comfortable with the dentist, schedule your cleanings with a different hygienist, try and develop a relationship with one you trust and never put up with rough treatment- you are the customer!

rp

What RP says. Getting a lot of rough dental hygiene threads at the mo. You need one of these hygienists :innocent:, not one of these :devilish:. It really is that simple sometimes.

Yeah, I was going to say the same......lots of pain in the backside hygienists out there at the moment it seems ! I have to say, my only really negative past experiences have been from hygienists too. I am really sorry you had this experience, it is no wonder many people are too scared to return to hygienists.

Before this I had a really nice hygenist but I got switched and I didn't like the one I had last time.

You get to pick your dentist, but you will see the hygieniest a lot more than the dentist one you get on maintenance visits- pick him or her too, and tell the practice to only schedule you with the one you like and to call you if she is absent that day so you can reschedule. .

rp

I have a dentist appointment in July and I'm already worried about it. I've never had a real say in my dental care cause I'm not an adult yet so I don't have a choice whether or not to go to the dentist. If I had the choice whether or not to go to the dentist I wouldn't go. My parents don't know about my fears and I don't think I can tell them about it or anyone else for that matter. I get all lost for words and I start to choke up and feel even more like a little child. When I go to the dentist I find it hard to talk to him or the hygienist, or the assistant. I'm very good about hiding my fears and I manage for the appointment but it just fuels the fire. No one knows about my fears and I feel very alone. I don't know what to do, please help.

You may feel like you don't have a say, but you do. You may not be able to choose to go or not to go but your parents are doing their best. If nobody realises how you feel they can't help you.

I would have a word with your parents, I think they would be upset to think this is how you feel and that you feel you can't go to them, as they are acting in your best interest taking you to the dentist.

Also you can either write a letter or e mail the dentist and explain how you feel and what your fears are when you attend. It would help the dentist to help you overcome these feelings, it is better done now rather than later. If you leave it until later you will not go as an adult, then you will get problems with your teeth that you do not want to have to deal with.

Many people on here wish they had gone rather than leave things. There is nothing wrong with making your parents and dentist aware of how you feel. I'm sure they will only be too glad to help you.

You have time before you go in June to speak about this to them, give it a try. If you tell your parents, they may well have a word with the dentist for you.

If you decide to do this I would be interested in how you go on, if you feel like telling us on here. If you still feel you can't speak to anybody then stay on here and we will all give you support and try help in some way if we can.

Try your parents see how it goes. They love and protect you.

hey ur not alone i personaly never have had it done but i always remember my dad saying filling and things are nothing compared to having his teeth cleaned of the lady in room 1 lol.But if it makes u feel better i was almost crying like a sissy today at dentist was so painfull lol. So i feel ur pain IN MORE WAYS THEN 1 HEHE. My sister refuses to have her do her teeth even if the dentist recomends it for hygein reasons

Back