• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cold Sensitivity To New Composite Filling

S

ShadowLady

I had a small cavity in the tooth after the canine on my upper right side filled over a month ago with a composite filling. I am still unable to eat ice cream on that side or too cold of a beverage. I had the bite fixed earlier on and sometimes it feels off still and other times it feels okay. The weirdest thing is the tooth right next to it is the most sensitive(the premolar behind it). When I rub my tongue on the underside, it feels achy(yet the tooth that was filled isn't usually achy when I rub my tongue on it). And the last 2 molars after that tooth hurt very much when drink or ice cream makes them too cold. They are both filled with deep silver fillings, but never bothered me until this small filling was placed a little over a month ago.

How do I know if the filling was done properly??? How do I know if I am allergic to the composite resin??? And is this normal to still have sensitivity to cold like this??? Should I just be more patient??? What should I do??? I am very worried. :confused:

Go back to your dentist. It's almost unheard of to be allergic to composite, however you aren't showing any allergic symptoms.
Cold sensitivity after this length of time would suggest that the bond between composite and tooth isn't working properly and it should be checked out.

The tooth with the filling isn't sensitive to cold...it's the teeth after the filling...mainly the last 2 molars with larger silver fillings. Can the filling not bonding correctly cause this kind of sensitivity in the other teeth after it?

I was just at the dentist on Friday and he sent me home with a prescription for Prevident 5000 Toothpaste for the sensitivity and told me it can take awhile longer to settle down.

Please advise.

Your dentist shouid know what's going on a lot better than I do. He's actually seen your teeth and I'm stuck with what you can tell me. So it would seem logical to follow his/her advice... apply the Prevident carefully, personally I would rub it in with my fingers or a Q-tip rather than brushing it on and see what happens.

Back