• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Impressions

  • Thread starter Thread starter boomer47
  • Start date Start date
B

boomer47

Junior member
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
13
Hi All,

Yesterday I went to have some tartar & plaque removed before geting my first "Dental Impressions". I found a good "Prosthodontist". (makes dentures).He wanted me to have some plaque removed so my impresions would be the best that they could be.

I never had a teeth cleaning before! I haven't been to the Dentist since I was 16 and am now 59. [smiley=scared.gif] Well I have to say that I took a half of a tranquilizer pill to just sit in the dentist's chair!!!

The Dental assistant was so great, she said if I was even the least bit uncomfortable, to raise my hand and she would stop. I neve had to raise my hand! She would keep asking me if I was O.K.? She did a great job.

The dentist took the impression of my upper area first. I was so scared that the stuff would harden and they wouldn't be able to get it out of my mouth (lol) I found out that if you breathe through your nose and concentrate on an object (like a painting on the wall) or on a (grocery list, or what you need to do tommorrow) it is very calming and the feeling of having something in your mouth does not make you panic at all. All it takes is a little concentration on your part. You can't concentrate and panic at the same time : :oo

Well the next step is the final impressions next week! Don't get me wrong. Every time I walk in the dentist door, I know my blood pressure goes up. Every time I tell him how nervous I am. Letting them know how nervous you are also helps you to calm down. I don't know what the final impressions envolve or whether they are any easier than the first impressions.

I'll keep posting until after the sugery. I hope this gives someon else a little courage. Nothing is as bad as you imagine it. Sitting on the fence too long just makes you more nervous. But when you make the decision to jump over. Some of the fear is gone.

Take care,
Boomer
 
Back
Top