• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist crowned teeth with decay, but no root canal

  • Thread starter Thread starter AbbyH85
  • Start date Start date
A

AbbyH85

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
56
I just had 2 teeth crowed with extensive decay, and I mean ALOT. Dentist said that the roots looked good on x ray but we may need to do a root canal later if they act up. I dont recall these teeth ever bothering me but they have been bad for a while. Is this normal to do sometimes and just go back in through the crown if I have issues? They are what he called my "eye" teethe and he said we should do what ever we need to in order to save them. Mainly because he said extractions there hurt like hell and they are important teeth.
 
It's not generally too hard to cut a hole through the crown if the tooth acts up then a root canal is performed and usually a post is placed into the root. These teeth are more difficult to extract but shouldn't hurt.
 
I have crowns on a number of teeth that had so many fillings that the tooth structure was weakened. I was given the same warning about the possibility of some needing root canals in the future, and since they were crowned about 25 years ago I have had to have 3 or 4 root canals. It's not a big deal, they just drill a hole through the back of the crown and proceed with the root canal. Keep your teeth! You are lucky to have a dentist that encourages you to save them. My mother had dentures for years and really suffered with them. After watching that happen to her I made a personal goal of keeping my teeth no matter what the cost. It hasn't always been easy because I'm phobic, but it is worth it =)
 
Thanks! I'm for sure keeping them, No pain in the teeth at all so far. But I do have some sweilling on the roof of my mouth near one, it seems to be where he did the injections but it has not gone down in 2 days. I have an appointment today so I will have him look at it.
 
It is quite easy for the dentist to drill through the crown to do a root canal. Dentists don't like to do root canals unless they absolutely have to, which is probably why your dentist didn't want to do it straight away. There is always the option to do the root canal later if needed.
 
Back
Top