• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist left a little "Hard Decay" behind during a filling - is that normal?

B

Badchi

Dentist left a little "Hard Decay" behind during a filling - is that normal?

Hi All,

I had a filling today between 2 back tooth (Class II). The dentist said its not near the nerve but he left a little "Hard Decay" behind and then used Glass Ionomer for the liner and then put in the silver filling.

I don't understand why he did not remove all the decay (maybe he did not want to drill too deep?) I am now worried the decay will come back.

Any dentist out there could explain?

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Dentist left a little "Hard Decay" behind during a filling - is that normal?

Dentist was trying to save you from a root canal and crown. Once all the edges are cleaned and properly sealed the decay will stop as it will have no more food.

Re: Dentist left a little "Hard Decay" behind during a filling - is that normal?

Hi Dr Raymond,

Thanks for the explanation which is reassuring :jump:

I fully trust my dentist but its just a bit worrying when when you hear decay left behind :)

He did say the decay was Not near my nerve / pulp but was deep near my gum line, so maybe he did not want to go too deep into the root of the tooth as it would then be hard to keep the area dry for the filling as it will be below the gum?

Thanks

Back