• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist wants to do Zirconia crowns for 900 dollars each instead of gold for 400

M

Mr.Ritz

Dentist wants to do Zirconia crowns for 900 dollars each instead of gold for 400

Just got back from the dentist and they wan 3k+ to fix 3 teeth and that doesn't include any lab work or if they run into any other things that need to be done. I am just tired I think I will let me teeth fall out. Its like 90 bucks to have them pulled. After all these years my teeth will have cost more than some people cars.

The crows they put down for the work are not the type covered by my insurance. I see my insurance will cover crowns at 400 dollars a pop but these are Zirconia crowns at 900 dollars a pop. Not sure why I can't get the 400 dollar crowns.

Last edited:
Re: I can't afford my treatment plan... thousands of dollars even with insurance

It appears that you are being upgraded so that the dentist frankly can stay in practice. Your dentist has agreed to a very low reimbursement insurance and is figuring out how to survive financially. "Bait and switch" is common in these situations. Not that I'm accusing your dentist of that.

Re: I can't afford my treatment plan... thousands of dollars even with insurance

It appears that you are being upgraded so that the dentist frankly can stay in practice. Your dentist has agreed to a very low reimbursement insurance and is figuring out how to survive financially. "Bait and switch" is common in these situations. Not that I'm accusing your dentist of that.

I asked if they could just fill the tooth again and they said there was not enough tooth left. Then I asked about gold but they said they charge the same price. But according to my insurance a noble metal crown is 400 dollars. I would assume that covers gold? So not sure how they both are 900 dollars when my insurance says my out of pocket is 400 per crown of noble metal. Here is what my insurance covers as far as crowns. Id also like to not get crowns if possible but Im not a dentist but one of my friends said he told the dentist to fill it instead of crown and he has had zero problems with his extra large filling..

This dentist was one of the VERY few places to take my extra crappy bottom of barrel insurance. H1215 Humana

D2710* Crown—resin based composite, indirect. . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2712*
Crown—3/4 resin based composite, indirect. . . . . . . . $410.00D2720*
Crown—resin with high noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2721
Crown—resin with predominantly base metal. . . . . . . $410.00D2722*
Crown—resin with noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2740*
Crown—porcelain/ceramic substrate. . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2750*
Crown—porcelain fused to high noble metal. . . . . . . $410.00D2751
Crown—porcelain fused to predominantly base metal $410.00D2752*
Crown—porcelain fused to noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2780*
Crown—3/4 cast high noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2781
Crown—3/4 cast predominantly base metal. . . . . . . . $410.00D2782*
Crown—3/4 cast noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2783*
Crown—3/4 porcelain/ceramic. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2790*
Crown—full cast high noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2791
Crown—full cast predominantly base metal. . . . . . . . $410.00D2792*
Crown—full cast noble metal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $410.00D2794*
Crown—titanium.

What do I do at this point? Demand that they do work my insurance covers? How can I trust someone that upgrades me to something that cost twice the price? My insurance makes me claim a dentist that will cover me. I don't think I can get a second opinion now without paying out of pocket. Plus I have to wait until I can change my home dentist to another one.

One tooth kinda hurts and I don't want the filling to crack before I can get it fixed. I really need to find someone who takes my insurance and will stick to stuff my insurance covers and not do extra work.

Last edited:
Back