• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Didn't brush teeth, what will happen to me? Please help

T

TomesJapp

Hi all, I have a few questions/issues so I will label them so that answering should be easier, hopefully! I'm very sorry about the length of this post, I wanted to give as much detail as possible so I could try and get as much help, any questions feel free to ask me.

(Issue1): I need some advice/support regarding my teeth. I worry about them far too much and often, I find myself worried about them several times every day, because they feel off or there is a low level ache for a few moments.

I become aware of anything in anyway off with my teeth - it's kind of like when someone mentions breathing and you start being aware of it and have to breath manually. I worry an awful lot about my teeth, whether I am going to lose them or not etc.

I have general problems with my teeth, sometimes a tooth with hurt for half an hour randomly, or i will get a sharp pain out of the blue and then have no more issues. The problem is the fact that for a long period of time, probably 8-10 years (roughly between the ages of 7-15) , I did not brush my teeth and I had an appalling diet, fizzy drinks, sweets etc, to be honest I'm surprised my teeth lasted so long.

I have seen a dentist serval times from the age of about 16, he is a lovely man and all dental work I have had done has been perfect and painless. However I have moved away to university and cannot see him frequently or easily. Since the age of 16-17 I have been looking after my teeth religiously, brushing 2 minutes a day (occasionally longer), twice a day.

I know the best thing to do is to see a dentist, I'm making an appointment tomorrow with the dentist on campus, and I'm not all that fussed around the aesthetics of my teeth (I will happily have bad looking teeth if they are healthy and pain free) - so I guess I'm lucky in those respects as I know people have fears and issues in those respects, but I just need reassurance that my mistakes are reversible OR a reality check and just be told straight that my teeth are wrecked. I appreciate this is hard without examining.

(Issue 2): But recently I have had a tooth become very sensitive to cold, then i used a sensitive toothpaste which fixed the issue, but then the same tooth started becoming sensitive to hot food instead, I'm unsure whether it was the gum or actual tooth causing the pain but it hurt, it is fine now though ? however I was eating food earlier and it started hurting when I ate - from google I have determined I might need root canal? But google is prone to exaggeration

(Issue 3): My wisdom teeth are coming through, don't know if its early/late, I'm not too concerned about that, but occasionally i feel pain, I'm assuming this is perfectly normal?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and help me, it is greatly appreciated

As you have already stated it is hard to tell you over the internet what the problem is. If you continue to brush and floss daily there is no reason that you shouldn't keep your teeth and gums healthy. If there were any problems from not brushing your dentist would have dealt with them.

It is a common symptom to worry about teeth and to be constantly worried about bad things happening to them when we are anxious and fearful of visiting the dentist.

I spent years being worried and I still have mine, not all of them but most, and I am nearly 60:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly::butterfly:

Hi TomesJapp, welcome!

First of all, have a hug :XXLhug: I know anxiety is horrible and this sort of stuff is hard to deal with.

So If I'm reading this right, you didn't brush for a few years, but you have been to a dentist regularly since then? In that case I honestly don't think you need to worry too much - if your teeth really were wrecked then your other dentist would have told you by now! And you've been doing the right thing by being careful to take good care of them now, that greatly increases the odds of everything being ok.

Re the sensitive tooth - sounds like you already know this, but STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE! :) Google is not your friend here. There are lots of things that can cause that sort of sensitivity that don't mean you need a root canal - it could be something like a wee bit of gum recession (I get that a lot, it can make my teeth sensitive in the way you describe) or it could need just a small filling or something like that. The way to find out is to do what you're doing and go and show it to a dentist - you're doing the right thing!

Wisdom teeth can sometimes hurt a wee bit as they come through (you're basically teething…) so that's no great cause for alarm, but again, the dentist should be able to take a look and tell you what the situation is with those.

When is your appointment? Let us know how you get on!

Hi TomesJapp, welcome!

First of all, have a hug :XXLhug: I know anxiety is horrible and this sort of stuff is hard to deal with.

So If I'm reading this right, you didn't brush for a few years, but you have been to a dentist regularly since then? In that case I honestly don't think you need to worry too much - if your teeth really were wrecked then your other dentist would have told you by now! And you've been doing the right thing by being careful to take good care of them now, that greatly increases the odds of everything being ok.

Re the sensitive tooth - sounds like you already know this, but STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE! :) Google is not your friend here. There are lots of things that can cause that sort of sensitivity that don't mean you need a root canal - it could be something like a wee bit of gum recession (I get that a lot, it can make my teeth sensitive in the way you describe) or it could need just a small filling or something like that. The way to find out is to do what you're doing and go and show it to a dentist - you're doing the right thing!

Wisdom teeth can sometimes hurt a wee bit as they come through (you're basically teething…) so that's no great cause for alarm, but again, the dentist should be able to take a look and tell you what the situation is with those.

When is your appointment? Let us know how you get on!

Thank you so much for your reply and the support :)

I have made an appointment for Tuesday the 29th - it's the only day I knew I was free and the 22nd was fully booked :/ I'm getting a check-up, I hope it goes well, but whatever happens I'll either be told I have nothing to worry about, or my teeth with have problems fixed and I'll leave with a lighter wallet :)

In that case, all the best for the 29th! Keep us posted, and you know where we are if you need support :)

In that case, all the best for the 29th! Keep us posted, and you know where we are if you need support :)

So I went, about an hour ago, got X-rays, he had a look around, and the conclusion was this:

I'm a "high risk" patient
I need professional help
I have 4-5 cavities
I have mild gingivitis
I need to brush 3 times a day with some toothpaste that costs and arm and a leg
I need to visit a hygienist twice a year

I knew the conclusion wouldn't exactly be perfect but I didn't expect this...

I don't understand, I have cut down on sugary foods, brushed my teeth religiously, used mouth wash, why are there still problems with my teeth? It seems that every time my teeth get fixed a new problem arises. I can't afford all this work, hygienist and toothpaste, I'm a student for goodness sakes I'm going to struggle enough as it is financially and I've got my degree to worry about I don't need any more stress :(

So I went, about an hour ago, got X-rays, he had a look around, and the conclusion was this:

I'm a "high risk" patient
I need professional help
I have 4-5 cavities
I have mild gingivitis
I need to brush 3 times a day with some toothpaste that costs and arm and a leg
I need to visit a hygienist twice a year

I knew the conclusion wouldn't exactly be perfect but I didn't expect this...

I don't understand, I have cut down on sugary foods, brushed my teeth religiously, used mouth wash, why are there still problems with my teeth? It seems that every time my teeth get fixed a new problem arises. I can't afford all this work, hygienist and toothpaste, I'm a student for goodness sakes I'm going to struggle enough as it is financially and I've got my degree to worry about I don't need any more stress :(

OK, I know it sounds bad but that's actually not so much and your teeth are not wrecked.

Mild gingivitis is very treatable and it's good to catch it and deal with it before it ever gets the chance to be a bigger problem. 4-5 cavities is a reasonable number, but again, they can be dealt with before they turn into a bigger problem, and with regular hygienist visits you can reduce the risk of more.

Are you in the UK? If so, a lot of this can be done on the NHS at low cost (or possibly even free if you are a student and fill in the right forms?). If not, there may be a low cost option in your area - a few US-based posters on here use dental schools for low cost treatment and seem to have good experiences there.

OK, I know it sounds bad but that's actually not so much and your teeth are not wrecked.

Mild gingivitis is very treatable and it's good to catch it and deal with it before it ever gets the chance to be a bigger problem. 4-5 cavities is a reasonable number, but again, they can be dealt with before they turn into a bigger problem, and with regular hygienist visits you can reduce the risk of more.

Are you in the UK? If so, a lot of this can be done on the NHS at low cost (or possibly even free if you are a student and fill in the right forms?). If not, there may be a low cost option in your area - a few US-based posters on here use dental schools for low cost treatment and seem to have good experiences there.

But i've had so much work before, i just want my teeth to get sorted and then stay relatively okay, i would be nice to have a "everything looks fine" check up :/

I don't understand how I have gingivitis, I brush my teeth regularly and brush the gum line, I do kind of feeling like I'm fighting a losing battle with my teeth and I'm not even 20, I'm harder on myself because it's mostly my fault for not looking after them

And I will need to ask about cheaper/free treatments etc as a full time student but I don't know what options I have really, thank you for your support :)

Hi!

Unfortunately, some of us did not fair so well in the dental genetic lottery. I have teeth that continue to need dental work despite an excellent oral hygiene routine for many years.

I, like you, had mild gingivitis when I started on this journey. The thing you aren't doing, which is an absolute must for dealing with any sort of gum issues, is to floss. This will help with tooth decay as well, but it's essential for good gum health.

If you are in the US, the prescription toothpaste should cost around $20. It will say it's a month's supply, but I usually get 6 or more months out of one tube. Also, have you looked to see if you qualify for one of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) dental plans? That might help with some of the cost.

Best of luck to you!

Back