• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does a tender tooth after a crown always mean a rc is needed?

S

sharon

I had #30 crowned 3 weeks ago and am still wearing the temporary crown. I didn't have any problem afterward, no pain or tenderness. The dentist seemed to be confident that he stayed far enough away from the pulp so that no major damage was done that would make a root canal necessary. The next week I had #31 extracted due to a fractured/shattered root. Ever since then #30 has been very sensitive to chewing/tapping. So now I'm worried. Does this mean a rc is definitely in the future? Could the surgeon doing the extraction have damaged the crowned tooth? Could it just be a reaction to the jostling that was done with the extraction and it will soon calm down? I'm scheduled to have the permanant crown put on next week, but don't want to do that if a root canal is is the future.

When the dentist works on or removes a tooth another tooth can become very sensitive. I had a tooth next to my implants that was "bruised" and hurt on an off for a year. When the pain was very severe they put me on ibruprofen. The endo could not find anything wrong with that tooth. After a full year that tooth stopped hurting. Follow-up x-rays have not shown any issues. So it is very possible the tooth that is bothering you was traumatized and it may resolve. Sending positive thoughts.

Davee - It's good to know that even though you have had a sore tooth there have been no issues that would cause you to need further treatment. I hope I have as good luck. I remember having a similar problem when I had a root canal on another tooth 4 or so years ago and also when I had that same tooth extracted last November. I get the final crown put on next week. Sometimes just that can help. I'm wondering if it's possible for him to put the final crown on with temporary cement for a couple of weeks, that way if I do need further work (such as a root canal) the crown can be easily removed and there won't be any chance of it breaking or cracking. As of now I'm having no sensitivity to temperature so I take that as a good sign.

Back