• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does my silver filling need to be replaced?

S

S.U.

I got a silver fillling done years ago when I was 16 and am wondering if it's going bad at the edge on the tongue side of my tooth. I noticed black there a few years back, but my Dentist told me 6 months ago it was still holding well. I looked now, and am not sure if it's still good. At the same time, I don't want it drilled for nothing since it's a big filling. I still remember gripping the chair as the Dentist drilled that big awful hole in the middle of my molar without numbing , & then gave me the news that I'm going to be getting my first permanent silver filling in a molar to show off when I yawn (like that was going to cheer me up). How do you think it looks? I really don't want it drilled again, especially since the drilling would go even deeper.

fy1sa0.jpg2v9q8mb.jpg

it might be easier to see if you took the picture from the side where the filling is, instead of the side furthest away from it. but if the dentist told you it was fine I would just believe them. I have old amalgam fillings that are 33 years old and still holding up fairly well. if it is not chipped or broken and your xrays show no decay under it I would leave it alone.

Back