• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does rinsing with warm water containing excessive amount of salt cause burning in the surgical area?

P

prokash2708

Does rinsing with warm water containing excessive amount of salt cause burning in the surgical area?

Five days ago I had my wisdom tooth extracted which was in lower third molar and was an impacted one. After the surgery everything was quite okay except the fact that from day three on-wards I was having too much burning sensation (soreness) in that surgical area and still now I can't chew any half-solid food due to that. Even simple water causes burning sensation in that area. My dentist told me to rinse with warm salt water (although he didn't tell me the exact amount of salt & water mixture). So I just started rinsing my mouth with around 400 ml water with 2 table spoon (full) of salt (of-course after 24 hours of my surgery). Now I wonder did that thing do any harm to the surgical area? I mean, seriously, It should've been okay by now. No burning sensation shall persist by this time. But is it really okay? Will this burning sensation (which hurts so much) eventually go away? Did it have anything to do with that excessive amount of salt I put into the warm water? Any helpful reply will be greatly appreciated. :)

N.B. (In day 3) My doctor assured me that I got neither dry socket nor any infection around my surgical area. But still I just can't figure it out what's wrong with my mouth.

Re: Does rinsing with warm water containing excessive amount of salt cause burning in the surgical a

Hi welcome the salt won't have done any harm, although a teaspoon in a glass of water would have been fine. Some people take longer to heal than others. If this persists and you are worried then go back to the dentist, just because it looked fine when they saw it doesn't mean it is fine now. Give it a few more days and if no improvement go back :butterfly:

Back