• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does sensitivity mean root canal?

F

famv5

I have recently developed a sensitivity in one of my bottom teeth (molars). I'm not sure of the cause but I'm wondering if a tooth is suddenly sensitive to hot and cold and also hurts to bite down on it, does that mean it needs a root canal? I would be shocked because these two particular teeth were never on my treatment plan as having anything wrong with them.

One of the two molars did crack about 20+ years ago but was fixed. I was told that I would need to put a crown on it at some point but that would be last on my list of things to fix on my dental treatment plan. So, I'm just baffled at why suddenly I'm feeling this sensitivity in this region of my mouth.

Also, if I do in fact need a root canal, should I start on something like penicillin in the meantime to help with the inflammation until I can get in to the endodonist?

I would appreciate any input on this. Thank you so much.

Hi

I had sensitivity last month, I had an infection which needed a re-done root canal which was first done in 2006, I go every three months to the dentist,

good luck.

Does the sensitivity linger? Lingering sensitivity is worse than sensitivity that quickly goes away.

Back