• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does Short-Term Nitrous Exposure Lead to B-12 Deficiency?

P

pacerboy9

Hello,

I have two cavities that need fillings and am considering getting nitrous oxide. However, I have read multiple clinical studies on the adverse impacts of NO2 on B-12 depletion. For an 1-1-1/2 hour appointment will NO2 have the same adverse effects?

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

I am not a dentist, but I have had numerous surgeries over the past year, some almost 2 hours. I used nitrous for all of them. I am also working closely with my doctor to monitor my health, since my dental infection was impacting my health. She has been doing blood draws and a full test about every 3 months. I have not had any deficiencies at all.

Hi there, not a dentist either (hope one of our forum dentists throws in an explanation about how it works), but 1-1,5 hour procedure is not particularly long. If laughing gas had a negative effect on people's health during such a short time, then most people having laughing gas for dental procedures would be in trouble.

Here is a quote about B12 from our article about inhalation sedation which might be useful:

"If you have a vitamin B12 deficiency and receive injections, nitrous oxide is contraindicated because the gas inactivates the B12 in your blood so that your body can’t use it. This can make you very sick quite quickly. It only applies to people who have a problem with absorbing B12 from their diet – most people have a good store of B12 in their liver."

Back