• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does this tooth need to be extracted?

N

NickP1101

Peg lateral incisor crowned 11 years ago for cosmetic reasons. Inflamed gums for years and some visible mobility. No root canal despite roots not being visible.

Attachments

• BA0A3D29-B58F-4A1E-90B4-30DB8656E103.jpeg
    BA0A3D29-B58F-4A1E-90B4-30DB8656E103.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 24
Why would it need extracted?

It was crowned 11 years ago and had chronic inflammation in the gums and had mobility. My dentist said it was cracked in two places and had no visible canals. Do you disagree?

Attachments

• 0194632B-D0D2-42C8-A3BC-59B85BD5D286.jpeg
    0194632B-D0D2-42C8-A3BC-59B85BD5D286.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 24
I can't see a canal. It's got a fair bit of bone loss so I'm not surprised it's a bit mobile. Looks like cracks on the film etc. but so what?

I repeat why does it need to be extracted? Any symptoms? Is the movement annoying you? Do you dislike the appearance? Do you want to pre-empt an issue with it failing at an awkward time?

Because I was afraid it would break at any given moment since it doesn’t look like there was any fixing it

I presume that cracked in 2 places means where the yellow circles are. So in the bottom yellow circle closest to the crown of the tooth the line you see is the porcelain margin and I don't think its a crack. The second yellow circle shows another line which is the osseous crest. Both these lines are typical findings. Gordon is absolutely right keep your tooth. Keep it clean!
Is your dentist young?

Back