• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dreading my appointment & so nervous!

F

fortcon

A little about me... I’m 35f & hadn’t been to the dentist in about 8 years. Never really went for regular checkups as a child, but had routine checks run by my primary school (in Aus) a couple of times and only remember having one filling (which wasn’t a positive experience).

At about 20/21 said filled tooth (pretty sure it was the same one) was painful and ended up having a RC. Tooth was never crowned & wasn’t told this was necessary to protect the tooth from further potential problems. So for the following 2/3 years after that parts chipped/came off and the tooth was repaired. That was until the last time and an X-ray was done and showed there was now more filling than tooth and would have to be extracted at some point. Found a new dentist who was nice and suggested it could stay until my wisdom teeth needed removing so all could be done at once...that was 8 years ago.

In late June more of the RC tooth chipped off & I got the courage to go and get it looked at. She confirmed it was best to remove it & also mentioned that the 2 wisdom teeth that were erupted were decaying and sent me off to an oral surgeon. Then lockdown happened here in Melbourne and everything had to be cancelled, until now

I’ve got an appointment for cleaning & 2 fillings on Monday & I’m so nervous and anxious. I know I’ve had a RC before so the fillings are not as bad and I’ve had a few before, but I’ve got so much tartar build up and I’m so ashamed of the state that I let it get to, and I know it will be much more comfortable to eat with the tartar gone, but when so much time passes it’s easy to go back to square one in regards to the anxiety of it all.

Sorry for such a long post!

fortcon,

Congratulations on making that appt after all you've been through , are you seeing the nice dentist you saw last time? I would imagine the dentists to be a little more forgiving and less shaming after the whole Covid thing knowing people couldn't get in and just the stress for everyone. Plus I imagine them to be happy to get patients in the chair and want to treat them well :). I hope you get someone very nice whether its the same or someone different and they help ease any anxieties and worries.. Let us know how things go!!

I'm all done...for now. Got the same dentist as last time. She's nice & friendly which helped. Had 2 fillings on my last two molars on my top right & a cleaning & was done within 45 minutes. She began cleaning the build up on the back of my bottom front teeth and then asked if I'd liked to be numbed up so I wouldn't feel too much, which I did.
Now I have to book in my wisdom teeth + extra molar extraction + implant.

I'm all done...for now. Got the same dentist as last time. She's nice & friendly which helped. Had 2 fillings on my last two molars on my top right & a cleaning & was done within 45 minutes. She began cleaning the build up on the back of my bottom front teeth and then asked if I'd liked to be numbed up so I wouldn't feel too much, which I did.
Now I have to book in my wisdom teeth + extra molar extraction + implant.

Good stuff and well done for going to get the treatment. I go to the dentist every three months for checkups, and anything I need doing in between, I hate my teeth,

Back