• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed,Depressed, dissappointed of my teeth condition

F

Fati96

Hi.
I've posted 2 or 3 posts during last month about my first appointments after years and they went somehow well and ... .
But these days I feel so depressed about my teeth condition; I'm 23 years old. I haven't beem to the dentist for 13 year. During this time , 1) I lost 3 teeth(in fact at first they broke, and then rotten to gumline-their root should be extracted)
2)Two wisdom teeth should be extracted.
3) 3 chipped teeth are in my mouth now.
4) I have some decayes btw my teeth based on x-rays.
5) And worst of all, I need orthodontics. I don't have a nice smile.
All aboves I told you cause me so depressed these days.
I feel so ashamed than any other time.
During these 13 years The only reason which prevented me to go to the dentistry was just FEAR of dentist, but now that I found a nice dentist who is so kind and patient and I feel a little comfortable, my fear turns to embarrassment, depression and dissappointment.
I'm afraid what dentist thinks of my teeth condition and my character.
I'm just a 23 year old girl, a young woman with this awful teeth condition, a mouth full of decays and worst of all, malpositioned teeth!!!
What does he think? He thinks where I was these years?why didn't I take action sooner? Women pay attention to beauty so much , but me?!
I feel so bad! ???

You are amazingly brave for getting your teeth looked at. You found a great dentist to help you. Your so young and no doubt beautiful, the dentist is going to help you fix your smile!! You will have so many years ahead of you with a pretty smile you don't have to hide!! Hold your head up and be so proud of yourself!! Your doing it now, and thats what matters. Im sure he doesn't think bad of you at all.

@Fati96

Hello first of all that’s amazing you went and that things went well. Your taking the right steps to address it and a dentist will be proud of you for that. Just like you should be. Honestly I feel like to them they see so many mouthes I don’t think they judge in that way.

I feel like I have had quite a similar experience to you. I was 18/19 when I first went back to the dentist after manny years of avoidance and I had quite a lot that needed fixing. Although I was so panicked I remember telling my dentist I was more embarrassed ? about it but he was very reassuring and didn’t make any negative comments. I was so embarrassed that when I told him the staining on my front tooth bothered me he said show me and I wasn’t even opening my mouth ? and expected him to see it ??‍♀️. I remember him asking one question I think, as to why I didn’t come sooner but I didn’t think it was in a critical way just I was a new patient I think wondering why, like was I anxious etc.

I’m about to re embark on my orthodontic journey now in my 20s as my teeth are not straight and I find it hard to smile and show them. Who knew I was going to miss wearing a mask. I hoped to have mine sorted before my graduation but my braces were delayed by covid, but I plan to smile in my pictures anyway!
P.s. I’m also female

'm afraid what dentist thinks of my teeth condition and my character.

This comes up SO many times here. As a dentist, we honestly don't give a damn about the state of your teeth when you come in.

Dentists are do-ers, all we're interested in is fixing stuff, how it got like that isn't really more than a passing concern :)
Mostly we're busy working out what order we're going to do the repairs in and how best to get things sorted. There's absolutely no need to be embarrassed about the current state of your mouth.

when I was so worried about the fact I needed a root canal especially at my age. The dentist was like well i’v had one ??‍♀️

I was in the same boat as you :(
I was crying a few days ago because I didn’t go to the dentist for a while and when I finally went (I only went cause one of my teeth cracked) I had to get two root canals and I got a bunch of decay in a lot of my teeth :( makes me feel so ashamed. I was also recently told that I need to remove at least 2 of my wisdom teeth...I’m 29. And I told my husband “how is it possible that I’m not even that old and I already have a bunch of problems with my teeth” I was and still feel a little depressed and worried.
And I know I’m supposed to be here to encourage you. But I’m a little relieved that I’m not in this alone. Honestly as crazy and dumb as it might sound I thought I was the only one with so many problems in my teeth. But we got this! I wish you best of luck :) ??

I was in the same boat as you :(
I was crying a few days ago because I didn’t go to the dentist for a while and when I finally went (I only went cause one of my teeth cracked) I had to get two root canals and I got a bunch of decay in a lot of my teeth :( makes me feel so ashamed. I was also recently told that I need to remove at least 2 of my wisdom teeth...I’m 29. And I told my husband “how is it possible that I’m not even that old and I already have a bunch of problems with my teeth” I was and still feel a little depressed and worried.
And I know I’m supposed to be here to encourage you. But I’m a little relieved that I’m not in this alone. Honestly as crazy and dumb as it might sound I thought I was the only one with so many problems in my teeth. But we got this! I wish you best of luck :) ??

Hey. You most certainly are not alone on this, and you have come to the right place for support! I know that feeling of worrying about defining how much dental treatment I should or should have based on my age. But honestly there are many reasons why some of us need more dental work than others, I suppose the important thing here is your getting it sorted!

Back