• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid, Depressed, Embarrassed and in pain.

R

Rob494

This is a bit involved but I'll make it as quick as I can.

I am from Liverpool in the UK, but when I was a child I lived in South Africa.

My phobia started when I was a child and lived in South Africa, we used to get taken from school to a dentist provided by the state. This particular dentist was a son of a bitch. I hated needles and while being held down trying to give me an injection failed he just went ahead and drilled without anaesthetic. I don't know if he thought it would teach me not to resist next time, but it didn't and this happened a few more times until I would run from the teachers when it came time to see the dentist.

Besides my fear of dentists for a number of years now I have been battling with severe depression without treatment, during this time I stopped taking care of myself not caring what I looked like to myself or others this of course includes my teeth. My dental hygiene was atrocious.
I am now being treated for my depression and trying to sort myself out once again, But after years of neglect I have at least a dozen cavities, cracked teeth, broken fillings, etc.
I want to have my teeth treated but I'm scared and incredibly embarrassed as well which just exacerbates my depression.

In the mean time I have been using temporary dental filling as a stop-gap but I know that this is not a long term solution and am at a loss on what to do.

If you could please give me some advice and maybe recommend a dentist that would understand and that could maybe help that would be Wonderfull.

Thank you.
Rob.

My phobia started when I was a child and lived in South Africa, we used to get taken from school to a dentist provided by the state. This particular dentist was a son of a bitch. I hated needles and while being held down trying to give me an injection failed he just went ahead and drilled without anaesthetic. I don't know if he thought it would teach me not to resist next time, but it didn't and this happened a few more times until I would run from the teachers when it came time to see the dentist.

Besides my fear of dentists for a number of years now I have been battling with severe depression without treatment, during this time I stopped taking care of myself not caring what I looked like to myself or others this of course includes my teeth. My dental hygiene was atrocious.
I am now being treated for my depression and trying to sort myself out once again, But after years of neglect I have at least a dozen cavities, cracked teeth, broken fillings, etc.
I want to have my teeth treated but I'm scared and incredibly embarrassed as well which just exacerbates my depression.

In the mean time I have been using temporary dental filling as a stop-gap but I know that this is not a long term solution and am at a loss on what to do.

If you could please give me some advice and maybe recommend a dentist that would understand and that could maybe help that would be Wonderfull.

Thank you.
Rob.

please don't be embarrassed, I recently went to the dentist for the first time in over 15 years and my teeth are awful. The dentist didn't bat an eyelid! I now have to have 10 teeth extracted and I am scared to death but my dentist is looking into sedation for me which should help.

Search for recommendations locally and find someone who understands and then take it step by step. I am new to all this and am trying to tackle my own fears at the moment too and have found amazing support on here. Keep posting and hopefully we will all have healthy teeth soon.

Thank you.
Rob.

Hi Rob, and welcome
If you look around the recommendations page you might find a dentist in your area. My advice would be that when you call to make an appointment to let the receptionist know right off that you have a lot of anxiety about coming in. Some dentists will prescribe you a valium to be taken at home just before you leave for your appointment so that you are less nervous. I had to take a valium just to go in for my cleaning, that is how scared I was after not having seen a dentist for years.
I promise you that no matter how bad your teeth are, they will have seen worse. I'm sorry for the awful experiences you had as a child.

Just to add on to what others have said, dentistry has changed so so much in recent years. Not only are their methods and tools better, but they are trained in dealing with anxious patients. The best way to help yourself is to let them know your fears so they can go at a pace you can handle. Communication is the best way forward. An initial appointment would involve no procedures anyway, just a look round and an x-ray to work out what needs to be done.

Please don't be embarrassed or ashamed! So many of us have been there. Be proud instead, that you're fighting to overcome a huge phobia to get your health sorted out!