• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction of upper canines versus lower - could this be as bad or worse?

L

Lindaru

Well, my last extractions were about five months ago. Things had settled down until this morning.

I broke off a filling in my upper left tooth right next to the canine, and upon inspection, discovered that it and the canine will have to be extracted (calling them tomorrow) due to a lot of decay.

At the beginning of January, I had my lower right canine extracted which broke off and resulted in a half an hour of drilling to get the root out, requiring one set of stitches, and later the bleeding was so severe I had to go back in, get debrided and get a second set of stitches. I bled rather profusely for about 12 hours.

As a result, I am terrified to think of what will happen when I get this next canine out (note that I had my lower left one extracted in December and it was easy peasy by comparison).

Are upper canines just as tough to extract as lowers?

Thanks, all. Just trying to best prepare myself if the worst happens again.

:confused:

Re: Extraction of upper canines versus lower - could this be as bad or worse?

Canines are often surgical extractions. This is not unusual the exceptions are when there is periodontal disease that has destroyed the bone support but when there is just extensive decay then even the part of your tooth that you see is soft. The key question is if the dentist is comfortable with this type of extraction or not?
It is a very manageable problem when treated by someone with experience.

I just had my upper canines removed on Friday with local anaesthetic. Never had a lower one done but i can say that mine (which were quite bad with decay) came out easier that i thought they would. Even though they're (think I'm correct in saying) the longest/deepest rooted of the upper fronts, mine were about 3 minutes each to remove, roughly.

Mine did bleed a bit longer than i expected, but it was manageable. Good luck with your appointment! :)

Thanks. Turns out my dentist is not going to have time to work on them, but will have a single root next to it which lost a deep filling out on the 17th. Yes, I do have extensive periodontal process. I am 56.

Now comes something that just scared the bejeebers out of me!

A fellow in his fifties, like me, just told me that on his canines, they could not pull them from above but had to cut open his gum tissue, drill into the jaw bone under the tooth and push it up from below?

Totally freaking out.

Anyone ever heard of that?

:scared:

Sounds like BS. You do sometimes have to remove canines surgically that aren't in the mouth but that's not how you do it :)

Back