• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction problems both times.

B

Beckmae

Hi, I’m 26 and I went to the dentist maybe once in my life before this year. My mom had a horrible fear and thus I kinda took it on myself. Anyway, last summer I had such a bad tooth infection that I forced myself in. I was on anti biotics and pain meds for a week to try to clear it before the dentist ripped it out. I was told I’d have very minimal pain since it was a baby tooth. Everyone in my life was acting as if I should be back to work the next day. It took WEEKS for it to stop hurting. I had to go back and get pain meds twice, despite the dentist saying it was not a dry socket.
This brings me to last Tuesday, I had been having tooth pain in my other lower molar which is also a baby tooth. I decided to go to another dentist, considering my journey the last time was two months of pain. This dentist decided not to put me on anti biotics, not to give me pain meds. She simply pulled the tooth. (I felt the entire thing mind you). It’s now the third day and the pain has not gone away. The pain is worse than it was before I decided to get it out. I don’t think it’s a dry socket because it’s literally been in pain since day one and it’s only day 3. I just don’t understand? Are my gums just weaker? Is there a reason I feel more pain than others?I’ve been taking dose after dose of Advil and Tylenol and nothing helps. I really don’t want to go back and beg for pain killers, considering the dentist said twice I’d be fine without them.

It's probably a dry socket, it certainly shouldn't still be painful 3 days later, go back to the dentist.

When I had my wisdom teeth out everything was sore but I did get a dry socket on the bottom and there is a huge difference in pain. It radiated and was on another level. Hurt so much more then the top.

Hi, i posted a few days ago about being scared of having a dry socket and my fears were confirmed yesterday when I finally went to the dentist 4 days after my extraction. The dentist told me it was most definitely a dry socket, grilled me on smoking and using a straw. (which I didn’t do) and then packed the socket with some medicinal liquid, sending me home with a strong motrin prescription (that did nothing by the way). That was 10:00 yesterday morning and it’s now the next day afternoon. The packing fell out around 6am this morning. I’m still feeling a dull ache but not as bad as it was the last few days.

Questions for those who HAVE had it or know of someone who had it!! Or those in the dental field!!!
How long did yours last? (How long before you could eat normally, completely off pain pills, returning back to normal)
Did your dentist have to pack your socket more than once? More than 5 times?
Did your dentist suggest placing more trauma into the socket to force bleeding so that it could clot normally? My dentist suggested this and I really, really, really cringe at the though of it.
Does anyone know if the packing delays the healing process of the socket? I’m starting to think I might be better to just grind down and bare it at this point. I’ve been doing a mix of Tylenol, motrin, Advil and codeine. Anyone else have any other remedies? My dentist will not prescribe me pain killers despite telling me that her mom had a dry socket and agreed it was more painful than birth.

(Sorry for the long novel! I’ve been reading forums all over the place and there’s a lot of fear about dry sockets but not a lot of people who have experienced it. Any info would be great)

Last edited:
When I had it, the oral surgeon packed it with a cotton pellet that tasted like cloves. I had to go back in and have them remove the packing in two days, then they repacked it, and had me come back 3 days later. At that point they took out the packing and left it out. Everytime they repacked, they rinsed it out.
The pain relief was immediate when it was packed, which I think was partly due to the clove stuff. After packing, I didn't have much pain.

Questions for those who HAVE had it or know of someone who had it!! Or those in the dental field!!!
How long did yours last? (How long before you could eat normally, completely off pain pills, returning back to normal)
Did your dentist have to pack your socket more than once? More than 5 times?
Did your dentist suggest placing more trauma into the socket to force bleeding so that it could clot normally? My dentist suggested this and I really, really, really cringe at the though of it.
Does anyone know if the packing delays the healing process of the socket? I’m starting to think I might be better to just grind down and bare it at this point. I’ve been doing a mix of Tylenol, motrin, Advil and codeine. Anyone else have any other remedies? My dentist will not prescribe me pain killers despite telling me that her mom had a dry socket and agreed it was more painful than birth.

1) It should feel better very quickly once it's had some attention, very rarely they don't settle down after the first round of treatment and need a second go. Sounds like yours is the normal kind if the pain's easing now.
2) More than twice is unusual, 5 times is very weird.
3) I've heard of dentists suggesting it, never done it and don't know if it would work or not. Since the regular treatment is pretty effective and pretty well pain free for the patient, I can't see the advantage.
4) No.

Back