• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme sensitivity with composite fillings and small bumps?

C

Corvuswolf

hello everyone. I know this post is long, but I guess more detail is better than not enough. I just want some answers, since my doc really won't give me any.

I'm 19, and I've had braces for over 8 years now (I had some very severe issues), and I just had four teeth filled, 3 on my left side, and one on my right. They are tooth-colored fillings, and the cavities were mostly in between teeth and very shallow. Once I had the fillings done, I immediately noticed some severe sensitivity in all of those teeth that had work done. I'm sensitive to heat, cold, and sweets, but especially cold. The sensitivity didn't subside after a few weeks, and I started brushing religiously with sensodyne, which never worked. I have ortho appointments about every two weeks (for the past 8 years just about) and I always tell him each time I go about the sensitivity. First, he thought it was just from the shots, and from trauma from getting my braces rewired. Then I guess he thought it was from my bite, which doesn't make too much sense because my teeth don't line up where they touch very much, and biting down didn't hurt me. He ground off some edges. After that, I still had sensitivity, and the fourth time I went he put some stuff on the bottom of my teeth (near the gums) to help with the sensitivity, and put it between my teeth too, where he thought was the major points where I was sensitive the most. He also gave me some prescription toothpaste (Clinpro 5000) and told me to brush with the sensodyne, then with the prescription, but not to rinse once I used Clinpro. He also told me to rub it on my gums/teeth directly where I was sensitive and leave it there each night. Still I have unbelievable sensitivity in the left side of my mouth. Nothing has helped at all. He said if this doesn't work, he would consider root canals on those teeth, although he said personally he didn't want to, but it was a last resort. But I have healthy teeth!! or at least I hope I do...

Also a side note: I have been on birth control consistently for the past 4 years, and I've heard that that can affect oral health and cause sensitivity. I'm not sure if that applies here or not. Also I take meds for psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis.

Well, also, as a side problem, I have two very small bumps on the exact same spot on either side of my gums on my jaw. They are on the outside. I'm not sure how long I've had them. They are a little bigger than the tip of a ballpoint pin, and they don't hurt. I don't know if they're pimples or what. They are located under my next to last molars... I was just concerned because I don't know if they are abscesses or what. I'll ask about it next time I go, but what do you guys think?

So what other options do I have with my sensitivity?? Do I need a second opinion?

You need a second opinion.

Back