• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremem pain/bone shards with molar extraction. Help

W

Wanda67

Hello, and thank you for allowing me to join your forum.

I'm writing this because of some problems I am having with healing, after extraction of a molar.

One week ago today, the last molar upper left side, was removed by my dentist. He had a very difficult time getting it out under local anesthetic. After much pulling and tugging (he commented afterwards that it was one of the more difficult one's he's extracted in a while), a root broke off, for which he had to use a root pen to get that out.

Understandably, I've been quite swollen.

But over the holiday weekend, I developed dry socket, for which I saw him yesterday. He treated it with clove oil.

At the same time, he noticed a shard of bone protruding from the side of my gum, and removed it. Now, I have what feels like several tiny shards of bone protruding from the hole left with the removal, and I am in extreme pain, having difficulty opening my mouth (the pain in my jaw is far more severe than the actual extraction), and the pain radiates into my ear.

Due to severe medicine allergies (anaphylaxis is no stranger to me), I am unable to take anything stronger than a combination of 600 mg ibuprofen and 1000 mg acetaminophen 3 times daily. I also apply moist heat. That takes off the edge but does not completely alleviate the pain. I'm unable to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time, and eat, even on the right side of my mouth, because with every movement of my jaw, the pain in my jaw intensifies.

I'm at my wit's end and could really use some practical advice.

Sorry to make this so long, but I want to cover all the bases.

Thank you in advance.

I thought I would update this.

I returned to the dentist yesterday afternoon, in extreme pain. After getting a good look, he noticed that the area on the side of my gum where there was originally a piece of bone working it's way out, was completely open, exposing bone. He decided to open the gum up completely and clean it out. He said there were numerous small shards of bone, but he noted a good clot. I guess that means I did not have a dry socket after all; rather, it was the small pieces of bone that were causing delay in healing with pain.

He also had to drill the bone down so the gum will close.

I'm taking ibuprofen for the continued discomfort, though it is now nowhere near as extreme as it was.

I have an appointment for next week to have 5 more teeth removed, as a result of my 20+ years of bruxism. Admittedly, I am contemplating whether to do that just now.

A day at a time!

Back