• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of being numb!

M

Mklacza72

Hi all! I’m new here and thank you for allowing me to join. I have to have two teeth filled this Thursday. I have been putting this off for 2 months. Here is my fear... numbness. I can’t stand it. I’m afraid it’ll stop me from breathing, choking or closing my throat. The last tooth I had filled was 4 years ago and I was totally fine. I’ve had a few health issues the last few years and I think it has done me in. I had a breast biopsy earlier this year and I swear I could feel some of the numbing agent in my neck area. I am a ball of stress and just frightened. Not afraid of the needle or the drilling or being awake. It’s all a numbing issue.

Hi Mklacza72 :welcome:,

well done on scheduling despite your fear of the numbness. It's good that you remember you were fine 4 years ago and it is very likely that you will be fine again. I could write you a very long reply about information and advice, but maybe you better take a look yourself, we have a good article on the fear of being numb. :)
What might also help is to discuss this with your dentist and just ask for a break once the anesthetic was placed. The simple act of sitting upright and having a chat about some non-tooth things, maybe even get up and walk around a bit can have miraculous power. The fact is you will be able to breath and swallow and talk so getting a minute to check that our for yourself might help you to cope. I also like to check in the mirror to see that everything looks normal.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi Mklacza 72,

Welcome to DFC! I so get that fear myself and do agree with Enarete too , I think sitting up straight helps me feel better , also , when I"ve explained this fear to dentists and assistants they make sure to have the suction near to catch any anesthetic or saliva that may come in contact with the topical so none will get chance to go down the throat. That makes me feel very good about things too. I"ve had ALOT of work and have not had this feeling happen since I've let them know about the fear and they've been really careful. It feels like I have more control somehow getting it out in open so everyone knows and can help me. Numb is a weird feeling for sure.

Hi Mklacza72 :welcome:,

well done on scheduling despite your fear of the numbness. It's good that you remember you were fine 4 years ago and it is very likely that you will be fine again. I could write you a very long reply about information and advice, but maybe you better take a look yourself, we have a good article on the fear of being numb. :)
What might also help is to discuss this with your dentist and just ask for a break once the anesthetic was placed. The simple act of sitting upright and having a chat about some non-tooth things, maybe even get up and walk around a bit can have miraculous power. The fact is you will be able to breath and swallow and talk so getting a minute to check that our for yourself might help you to cope. I also like to check in the mirror to see that everything looks normal.

All the best wishes and keep us posted
Thank you so much! My dentist actually called me this AM and she gets me and said we will go slow. We can take breaks. They will have the suction going at all times. I feel so much better. Still scared, but no I’m in good hands. My dentist and her staff are quite remarkable and their hearts are just in it to win it! I will update as soon as I’m home and not numb!

I had a patient recently who was the same.

We did it slowly and kept the numbness as localised as possible and she walked out beaming from ear to ear :)

I know it’s easy for us to say but everything (swallowing/breathing etc) will work as normal although it’ll feel strange.

Thanks Mike! Tome is the big day. The office called me and said we’d go slow and the suction will be going st all times. I’m just terrified of anything dental. I had a spot where my gum is receding on one tooth and working myself up think I’m going to have gum surgery. I never use to be this way. I take such good care do my teeth and I feel since menopause, my teething are failing me!

Mklacza72, how did your appointment go? Sending you good vibes and wishes, hope all went (or will go) well with your dentist looking after you well. :clover:

Hello! It went very well. My dentist and her tech are hands down a heart of gold. I had a few tears as I was just scared. Nothing more. Nothing less. I can not have epinephrine as I have Graves’ disease (hyper) and she totally listened and said no worries. We will use without and she did just that. They were very attentive. Numbness lasted about 1.5 hours. I’m just extremely tired now. I don’t remember being tired after this, but I am. Thank you so much for checking on me. I was going to update later this evening.

Hugs,
Michelle

Michelle..

She seems really great! Like a great listener and really paying attn to your needs!! really glad this went well for you!

Hello! It went very well. My dentist and her tech are hands down a heart of gold. I had a few tears as I was just scared. Nothing more. Nothing less. I can not have epinephrine as I have Graves’ disease (hyper) and she totally listened and said no worries. We will use without and she did just that. They were very attentive. Numbness lasted about 1.5 hours. I’m just extremely tired now. I don’t remember being tired after this, but I am. Thank you so much for checking on me. I was going to update later this evening.

Hugs,
Michelle

Massive congratulations! I find it's normal to be tired after something like that, especially if you were worried beforehand. It's like a big weight off your shoulders and you can truly relax, listen to your body!

Also, I'm so glad for you that your team was so kind and supportive! It really makes a big difference. Hope it continues to heal well and you can get some much deserved rest!!

Back