• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of dental abscesses, need reassurance/advice :(

L

lyno

I'm new here-- forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

I've been having problems with my front teeth and the ones next to them since I was 9 years old and cracked them on a skateboard. In time, the teeth died from trauma and I've had to have a root canal on (now) both front teeth and the one next to them on the right side.

It was only this Monday (24th of June) that my dentist discovered one of my front teeth was dead and needed a root filling. I'd had an abscess and pain over the tooth, so I got in there as soon as possible. My dentist did the necessary and filled the root with some calcium hydroxide (antibacterial) to resolve the infection before completing the treatment. I was just relieved that it was being treated, because I have a real fear of abscesses spreading :/

Everything was okay until Monday night, when the tooth pain and abscess was gone, but my neck gland on that side became very tender and swollen. I'm really scared the infection has spread or there is something wrong, because it's now Thursday and I'm still very sore and swollen in my neck :( Is this normal for a root canal treatment that was infected, or should I go back to my dentist asap? It wasn't swollen before and it's never happened to me with root canals. Any advice would be wonderful, I'm really worried.

Hi lyno :welcome: to the forum.

I don't have an answer for you but if you are worried I would say to go back and see your dentist. I wouldn't worry about the abscess spreading to anywhere else. But ring the dentist or see your doctor and let them have a look and put your mind to rest.

Please let us know how you get on :butterfly:

Back