• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling despair over dark spot on dental x-ray (photo attached)

D

dustybaer

Two years ago a dark spot was spotted above one of my top front teeth. I waited to get a second opinion. I was told it was either a large abcess or a cyst. I finally had a root canal done late last year and was told that would clear it up. Well on Friday I had my first x-ray since the procedure and the dark spot is still there and has grown a little (see attached photo). At no point have I ever had pain. What is going on?
I already have very high anxiety since loosing both my parents in the last 11 months. My Endodontist says I need an Apicoectomy. Do you know anything about this procedure? And are lesions that look like mine ever known to be cancerous Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

• x-ray.jpg
    x-ray.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 53
I would see an OMS

If anyone else has any thoughts, let me know. I have to make some decisions soon and this is keeping me awake nights.

I tend to agree with Comfort, all things being equal, it's a very basic procedure for an OMFS, however if you like and trust your endodontist, there's no reason they can't do it.

I had an apicoectomy done this summer, if you have any questions about it. My endodontist did the procedure. Mine was ob a molar. The procedure itself is not bad, and I am terrified of dental procedures and surgeries. The recovery is a little rough but mine was on a molar, so that probably made it worse.