• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings filed too short?

T

TVTeeth

A few days ago, I had three cavities filled, 2 top teeth on the left side, one top on the right. After it was done, they checked my bite, and went to filing away. After they were done, I noticed that one of my left teeth had the feeling as though a popcorn kernel was in it - biting down just gave me the feeling that the filling needed to be shaved down a little more. They told me they'd do it in a week when I came in for my checkup.

After a day, I was just freaking out a bit and hoping nothing was wrong; the tooth in front of it, another one of the filled ones, started having sensitive feelings with eat and drink, and twice a nerve shot down my neck randomly - more of a sore lighting strike feeling than a sting. So I went back early, and they used the papers to file down the left top tooth closest to the front - I explained prior to them doing this that I felt it was more a "back" tooth that was the one with the "kernel" feeling, but they really didn't seem to listen, and filed down the one in front of that one mostly instead.

After they did this, I noted that my left side felt much more "airy", which I associated with comfortable at the time, but right away I noted that my right side now felt like it was hitting, and that the very back tooth on the left side (which was not filled) seem to stand as the tooth that was hitting on that side all along.

Basically, after the first filing down of fillings, I'm now thinking that they filed down too much even then, causing my very back left tooth (which did not recieve a filling but was behind two that did) to take all the pressure of that side, making me assume that it was the second to the last tooth, one of the the filling teeth, that needed filed, which crazily made them file the third to the last one even down more the second time around - if that all makes sense.

However the result of this time around is that the teeth on my left side no longer even feel like they connect. The only tooth that seems to touch is the very back one, and it also feels funny. On top of that, my right side now feels like it's touching together too much, or maybe just taking all the pressure. I feel almost like the left side of my mouth is missing a tooth, as though I could stick my tongue right though my teeth! (Though in reality, the teeth look totally fine and I'm sure the feeling is just caused by micromillimeters of too much filing down.)

My big question is that if "more" can be simply added to the filings if those two left teeth need to provide support in my mouth and to get this weird feeling out of my mouth - all the sudden, I have to chew with my right side because my left teeth don't feel like they can properly squish food, they just feel weird, like they don't touch much - mostly the third tooth from the back, it seems. I recieved the "white" type of filling, which I've read fuses with the tooth, so I hope that I don't have to have the whole thing completely redone. But I've also read that simply adding a bit to the layer is a patch job. I don't know what to think or do! Also, during the second filing down, they didn't use anaesthetic, which didn't hurt, but one moment it felt like they were grinding my real tooth because I felt a slight sting of the grind - this could have been the mistake that threw my real bite off (as I wouldn't think a filling would ever feel less connecting than more, while still properly covering the tooth, if it was only the filling being filed down and being filed down only to a safe level.)

I'm just really freaking out that there will be nothing they can do but tell me to get over it, and my bite was perfect before this! Please any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
it is easy to add to a composite filling.
More importantly everyone should make sure the bite is absolutely fine before you leave the office. Although it might be hard to tell when numb ideally it should feel fine and mark fine to the dentist.

Back