• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dental appointment in over a decade today, I am terrified

T

toothsome

I have been battling this anxiety regarding this appointment for over a month now, it was starting to calm down and now it is the day of, my appointment is in one hour, and my heart is racing. I am so so nervous that they are going to say my teeth are unsaveable or that it will cost a fortune to save them. I just cannot bear the shame of how long it has been since I’ve made an appointment.

Happy to hear that you are nervous one hour before your appointment. You would be a very bad nervous patient if you just stayed calm, what a disappointment for your dental team ;) No, honestly.. I know how it feels and the most of us have been there. The important thing to keep in mind is, that it's just anxiety and has no predictive power. You being nervous doesn't meant that something will go wrong.

Sending good wishes and keeping my fingers crossed for you. You have been very brave till now and this is just the next step. All the best and keep us posted.

Hi toothsome,
I hope your appointment well went. Please feel free to keep us updated on how it went.

Appointment went well! I brought Harry Potter and listened to that while in the waiting room and while the dentist cleaned my teeth. I only had two (possibly 3) cavities and need my wisdom teeth out, so could have been much worse money wise and just overall. The dentist was not quite as sensitive as I would have liked (told me I shouldn’t have put it off etc) but was generally pretty nice. I will likely look for a new dentist once I get these cavities filled, but I feel comfortable enough with her to just get these fixed up ?

Back