• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dental visit in 12 years and im nervous

N

NervousClown

Had a really bad dental experience as a kid you think that would have gave me motivation for better oral hygiene but depression didn't help. So I know I have gingivitis and it might be worse than that. Also have some cavities I think. I stated having some tooth pain last week so now I going hard on the brushing, flossing, water pik, saltwater, and mouthwash. Well now my jaw is sore and not sure if it's the toothache or 360 in oral care. Well I got my first dental appointment in 12 years in a week and I super anxious my teeth are even worse than I think or realize. I'm worried I need all this work done and will be judged my my new dentist or loose teeth and be judged by my peers. This first visit is just xrays and a cleaning to see how bad I am. Ant words of encouragement or advice?

Well done for making that appointment! For me all the waiting and anticipation was far worse than the visit. I recently had my first check up in about 20 years, strangely once I was finally in the waiting room I had a big sense of relief. My only advice would be to remember your dentist has seen it all and is not there to judge, only to help. Once it’s done you will feel an immense sense of pride, and you should do! You’ll make it and start your journey, best of luck with it all.

Thank you so much I already do feel a lil better about just taking the first step and the past week or 2 of actually trying hard I think I can see a lil improvement already but might just be wishful thinking. Just read your story and congrats on getting in for the first step. Do you think that the damage was better, worse, or about what you thought? I reckon anxiety is the worse part since I'm also a hypochondriac.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Well the teeth I have the most issues with was probably on par with what I thought, but I think what helped was that the dentist wasn’t phased at all, I had lots of images in my head of him being disgusted and being judged, when in reality he looked and gave me a plan of action. In fact at one point after I’d said how long it’d been since I’d seen a dentist, he said “it doesn’t make you a bad person,” that really stuck with me. When you have anxiety you make such mountains out of situations and make yourself feel the very worst, but in reality it’s hardly ever as bad as what you feel in your head.

don’t get me wrong I still fight with this anxiety daily and the thought of my next appointment (which is when the actual treatment begins) still fills me with dread, but knowing you were able to make the first step makes it just that bit easier. Hope you feel the same after your consultation!

Well first appointment is tomorrow morning. Have a really bad toothache today unfortunately probably be atleast another week to take care of that. I'll keep updating my story as it goes on.

Nervousclown,

Wanted to say I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow! Its a huge step you are taking! Take one step at a time and any step you take will be huge give yourself alot of credit! Make sure they treat you right,. So many dentists are very kind and want to really help you get the best care and overcome anxieties and fears so I do encourage you to as you feel comfortable share about your anxieties and dental needs so they can help you best. I hope they are good and kind to you! You are worth getting good kind care , just always know that! :). Let us know how it goes!

Showed up early and did some paper work and told them what was going on first part was a ton of xrays since I was a new patient. The xrays showed I had some minor bone loss nothing to worry about right now bit something to keep an eye on. The lady was super nice and friendly who scraped all the stuff of my bottom teeth because it's all we had time for. 2 weeks from now we will do the top. Some minor gum disease that needs to be managed so it doesn't become anything serious. The actual dentist came in and only looked at my mouth for like 2 minutes and said bye happy new year. I said wait what's causing my tooth pain on the top and he said not sure he didn't see any tooth decay anywhere and said I should get my 3 wisdom teeth removed because they look impacted and would be better to do know before I'm old and in pain.

Sounds like the hygenist was really nice and friendly, that is a great start. How did you feel about the dentist. Sounded very quick and to the point. Glad to hear the news it was only minor bone loss and nothing to worry about right now so you can take things little by little and start with another step with the gal who was kind to you.

The dentist seemed like he didn't want to be there and didn't care. Luckily he wouldn't be the person taking my wisdom teeth out so I shouldn't have to deal with him much.

Congratulations on the first step. Sorry that the dentist was underwhelming ? I hope you feel proud of yourself and like a little weight has been lifted. Well done

Back