• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front Tooth Decay

T

toother

Alright, so I am a heavy pop drinker (a 12 pack of mountain dew a day or two). I used to be extremely outgoing, partied all the time, being 20 I was loving life and doing good for myself.

I started getting decay on my front two teeth (up at the top, noticeable if I am smiling really hard, it's not THAT big of decay). This has caused my world to go for a loop. I lost all self-confidence, every time I am around people I don't smile, try not to laugh, and I just come off as shy or not personable.

The one thing that has prevented me from getting this fixed is I have had horrible experience in the past with fillings. I would have watery eyes from the pain and I would tell the dentist it hurt, and he simply stated "no, it doesn't". One other fear I have is that it will come out and it will be a noticable filling, as in people will see I had a filling on BOTH of my front teeth. I have gotten so worked up over this that it is causing panic attacks, lack of sleep, and overall I would sum it up as mild depression.

The front left tooth is the worst of the two, it has decay on the top then along the left side, not noticable on the side, it looks like I just chipped the side of my tooth (if anyone even notices it, it's that small). So I have two questions for these teeth.
  1. Will the fillings be noticable to the point of having a seeable "line" where the filling ends, or is there a way the dentist could smooth and buffer it out?
  2. Will I be able to get porcelain vaneers later down the road?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
:cheers:

-- EDIT --

Might as well knock out my other questions while I am here. My teeth are extremely sensitive to cold, all around. I have to drink my water warm, pop warm, beer warm, etc. I don't even put the stuff in the refridgerator. If I start brushing 2 times a day, get my fillings done (I have quite a few cavities, probably around 10 total in my mouth) will this pain sensation go away? Or will I have to live with not being able to eat ice cream, drink cold beverages, etc. for the rest of my life?

Also, yet another question, is it possible to rebuild the enamel on your teeth (or somehow make them stronger) via mouth wash, or anything?

My dental hygiene has been horrible (going 4 days without brushing my teeth sometimes, hardly ever brushing twice a day) so I am hoping I didn't screw myself with my moronic mistakes.

-- Another Edit --

Also, nearly all of my teeth are extremely white at the gum line. What causes this? Is there a way to fix this through mouthwash or toothpaste? Or is there a dental procedure that can fix this?

Last edited:
Wow so many questions so little sleep.... um okay here's the quick low down... yep usually those areas can be filled in with fillings as long as they aren't too large. If they are quite bad sometimes further work is needed. Usually once they are filled, the sensitivity should diminish. You certainly could get veneers if you need them in most cases even though the teeth may be filled.

Sensodyne toothpaste is good for sensitivity, but it sounds like you have areas of decalcification around the gum line which means those areas are weakened. Sometimes a high fluoride toothpaste/rinse is a good idea, but check with your dentist as to what they suggest as some areas may need attention.

Maybe try finding a dentist that does sedation to help you through your past fears.

Maybe try finding a dentist that does sedation to help you through your past fears.

Or just one who does not insist on working on your teeth if you are not properly numb....you may not need sedation at all...just your comfort level being respected (which would be the norm incidentally) would make such a difference. Good luck.

Hi, I am in exactly the same situation as you only mine is larger than yours. I havent had the courage to get it done and now 6 weeks before my wedding i am kicking myself for not doing it because I have no confidence and am so worried about how I will look. I also have a phbia of dentists but to be honest i would do anything to have my smile back. I fully understand how you feel but you do need to overcome your fears, you will feel so much better for it. My dentist cant fit me in for months yet so I have found a diy tooth filler just for wedding day. Its not a permanent answer so i will also have to face my fears and have it done. Good luck chick, let us know how you get on with it xx:)

I am in the same place you are only worse with my front teeth!!!
I have to get root canals in four of my front teeth!!
Thanks to good ol PEPSI!!!
Yup go to the dentist I waited untill it was too late!!!
They will fill ur front teeth and you wont even know their filled!!!
I have had all of my front teeth filled at one time or another and before they fell out you could not even tell I had them!!
but my advice to you from one pop drinker to the other stop drinking the pop now before you get the work done!!
Because if you dont you will be right back at the dentist 5 years down the road with the same problems!!!
Sorry for being so blunt ~~~~~~~ but I just made that mistake and I wish I could turn back the clock!!!!
Good luck your teeth will work out to be just fine;)

Back